Fatness or Fitness?

by Terry 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I don't know about you but as I get older (and older than older) my weight does not remain the same.
    When I was in my teens I wanted to be a (don't laugh) bodybuilder!
    I was too naive and over-eager to do it right. I ate almost nothing. I was six-four and weighed 160 lbs.

Yeah: scary.
    I lifted weights three times a day.
    Yeah, knucklehead.
    . My firstborn daughter, on the other hand, will turn 52 in August and she has just started a YouTube channel on FITNESS

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwusgjSr925o4U5sfBKczmg

I get a lot of bicycle-related exercises almost daily (except for bad weather) and I haven't driven a car as primary transportation for 9 years! Sunshine, fresh air, elevated hills, and two meals a day are keeping me from being as disgusting as I would probably easily become otherwise.
    I see SO MANY JW's of my vintage and they are coffin-ready, listless, bloated, and it is frightening to think it could have been me.

What do you do to keep the grim reaper from your door? Anything in particular?

• Island Man
    Island Man

Eating less as you get older is actually a good idea. Your metabolism slows down as you get older. That's the main reason that many tend to put on weight later in life - their metabolism slows down, but they don't adjust their diet to suit.

I don't think there is any secret to living longer. Longevity is genetic. Short of some over-the-top, invasive, life support technology, there is nothing you can do to make yourself live longer than your genetics would otherwise dictate. But there is plenty you can do to shorten your life - eating poorly, smoking, not getting enough exercise, etc.

• just fine
    just fine

I stopped eating sugars and carbs (processed foods) on an everyday basis. It made a huge difference for me. I still have treats occasionally and on vacation. I can easily maintain my weight by doing that.

I exercise every day by walking the dog 2-3 times a day. I use sunscreen every day. Drink lots of water. I’m trying red light therapy on some old injuries and seeing improvement in pain and stiffness.

• Terry
    Terry

Walking, swimming, and biking can't hurt anybody but golfing, tennis, handball, etc. might do more harm
    than the good eventually.

Heart rate, breathing, and lifting hands above the head are the bare minimum requirements it would seem.

I do fifty leg raises in my bed upon awakening - not because I like it I assure you :)

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

I bought a Fitbit, which came with a year of premium. I basically fast for 12-16 hours a day, depending on if it’s a work day or weekend with family.

I walk more and stay in a calorie deficit.

Lost 16 pounds and feel a lot better.

I also start my day with a liter of water or more and cut out most of my coffee intake.

It’s true that it gets harder when you get older. I turned 45 this year and this change in habits has made a huge difference in how I feel.

• Chezdale
    Chezdale

Same. I could easily bloat out. I fast most days (stop eating 8pm ish. Skip breakfast except tea or coffee. Don’t eat until noon or 1pm).

Stay away from bread. Very little Potato. I still have a beer or wine or whatever… but they pack the weight. I’m doing July with no alcohol.

sugar is bad for me. I agree. I’ve had a Fitbit for 5 yrs but only put it on now every few months and the for about a week just to keep a track of statistics. Definitely the way to go is walk or do other stuff to burn calories.

Seek out protein rather than Carb and learn about vitamins and minerals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit