New Bibles on the website

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I was going through a few websites and isolating text of the 'Deuteronimist History' for my channel on YouTube today when I opened a tab to jw.org to see if they had actually dome anything in a few days. To my surprise up popped the new bibles.

No for many year the only one they had was NWT 1984 and as of 2 years ago the RNWT with audio coming in slowly. (The guys that do Ezra are crap and Lett ruins Mark) A week or two ago they started adding a study bible starting with Matthew. Well I like it as a curiousity all the info in it is wrong lol.

Well NOW:

The KJV <<< This will give JWS a shock. The New Testament of this version is very different

The ASV<< Yeah the NWT used this as a base test as does the copyright free WEB. I personaly find it 'basic'

The Bible in Living English <<< Okay I will admist I like this one since it was rare and the WBTS used to be the only publisher (They didn;t translate it)

Ok.....

Why?

What is the point. They did this already on the JW app along with the Kingdom Interlinier 85. Wont this make serious witness bible students find out the NWT is garbage?

Won't younger JWs reading the KJV come up using words like : piss bastard, damn, hell, sodomite?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Won't younger JWs reading the KJV come up using words like : piss bastard, damn, hell, sodomite?

Ha! Sorry, you lost me at the idea of young JW's reading the King James version

• St George of England
    St George of England

Ha! Sorry, you lost me at the idea of young JW's reading the King James version

Ha! Sorry, you lost me at the idea of (young) any JW's reading the (King James version) Bible.

George

PS To Simon - Does "strikethrough" work?

• sir82
    sir82
    Not sure I follow. The comparison Bibles (KJV, ASV, etc.) have been there pretty much ever since the app launched.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I think that the difference is that they (or some of them) used to be on the JW Library App, now they are on the main website . I cannot say when I last checked that for Bibles but it is new to me also
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

JWs don't read the Bible.

This is just a public display for the 2 or 3 members of the public that actually do "click" on jw.Borg

Doc

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

When I grew up in the truth the brothers and sisters didn't use the New World Translation exclusively. In our hall some people used the King James, some the NWT, some the Bible in Living English, some the American Standard Version, some the Emphatic Diaglott. So having any of those versions on the website is meaningless. It's only been in the last 30 years that most people use the NWT. But I've heard many, many people quote other translations during meetings through the years all the time.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I think the gb read the same survey I did where it stated that only 16% of people change religions or leave and of that 16 % only 3% actually change to a new religion. The rest just leave religion altogether.
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

HowTheBibleWasCreated,

What do you mean by "isolating the text of the Deuteronomic History"?

Are you saying that you wish to isolate P texts within Deuteronomy through Kings? Friedman has done this with the J, E, P, D sources in the first five Biblical books through his book, "The Bible with Sources Revealed". (Scheidewind's book, "How the Bible Became a Book" is tangentially relevant.)

Are you suggesting that you are "isolating" P texts that lie within the Deuteronomic History?

Is Emanuel Tov's work of use? I do not know, just a genuine question, as I claim little understanding of Lower/Textual Criticism.

For me the more important question is not "How was the Bible created?" but rather "Why was the Bible created?"

Doug

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Biblegateway.com is the way to go. They have over 50 different English translations. They'll never be caught dead with the NWT though.

As for me, I used to use the American Standard Version when I was in the Witnesses which was actually printed by the Watchtower. It was identical to the NWT in size and onion skin pages but had a brown cover (instead of the green). And no, they did not change any of the text (Like John 1:1).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit