McEnroe Puts Serena at About 700 on Men's Tour

by cofty 6 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

John McEnroe was challenged by NPR reporter Lulu Garcia-Navarro to amend his comments about Serena Williams in his new book in which he rates her as the best women's player of all time. Lulu suggested he should not call her the best "women's" player but simply the best player of all time.

McEnroe was taken aback and explained that the men's and women's tours were very different and that Serena would be around 700th on in the men's game. To McEnroe this was a simple statement of fact: to the media it was a cause for outrage.

When did equality become confused with a denial of difference?

Christina Hoff-Sommers, "The Factual Feminist", tries to bring some common sense to the debate in her latest video.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yeah, I know right. Men are stronger than women - end of. If all sports were merged into unisex competitions the sports that required physical strength and power would be dominated by men. A fact of biology.

• cofty
    cofty

According to third-wave feminism facts of biology are lies told by the "patriarchy".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Strange times we live in when people are not allowed to say things that are obviously true.

Whereas it's become routine to accept the president of the United States will say things that are demonstrably untrue.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

So whats stopping us from having unisex sport?

Ahh...biology.

Ignore it, we'll just medals to everyone.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I don't know a great deal about McEnroe, but I like what I do know about him. He was a wonderfully talented player - one of the best serve-volleyers ever. He is also a great tennis commentator. I don't know if Serena Williams would be 700th if she was on the men's tour but it's safe to say she wouldn't be in the top ten.

Federer, Murray or Djokovic would wipe the floor with her ... because she is a female tennis player and they are male tennis players. That's reality, not sexism (an example of sexism would be the pay gap at the BBC!).

But Serena is definitely a great player. She deserves her success.

As well as her athleticism and powerful serve (compared to other women's), she has great skill and is capable of delicate touches.

McEnroe doesn't mince his words and I suppose in today's climate, outrage and a backlash are inevitable.

I sometimes idly wonder if left-wing beliefs and ideals are a kind of mental illness, kinda like religious belief.

• never a jw
    never a jw

few prayers to Jehovah God, some steroids, and a generous donation to the true religion would move her up to top 100

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit