Jehovah Witness vs Jehovah's Witness

by Simon 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It never really bothered me, but I was always sort of impressed when the odd person actually pronounced it correctly.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley
    When I was growing up being called a "jw" was considered an insult. I was "One of Jehovah's Witnesses." So while I was active it always bothered me when other jws would say they were "a Jehovah witness." I would even correct them. Now I could care less. And it does amaze me that the term JW is now being promoted by the borg. The almighty God being reduced to a "J." Not much of a witness if you ask me.
  • millie210
    millie210

Interesting thread!

I was in the "One of" camp.

Lots of emphasis was put on that.

Now it doesnt matter in quite the same way, it only matter grammatically.

Hooray!

• JeffT
    JeffT

The grammar is irrelevant.

Officially they are "Jehovah's Witnesses" as in "The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" or "The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses." It you are speaking of just one person he is a "Jehovah's Witness" or "One of Jehovah's Witnesses."

Anybody using "Jehovah Witness" in any context is speaking incorrectly, which is rather humorous when they use it themselves. You'd think one should be able to get the name of of his own religion right.

• cofty
    cofty

We left the cult when our daughter was an infant. She now says "'Jova witnesses".

That fact makes me happy.

• Naoscillator
    Naoscillator
    Most outsiders say "Jehovah Witnesses". A few say things like, "he / she's a Jehovah's Witness." Nobody but Jehovah's Witnesses say "one of Jehovah's Witnesses." That's just one reason why it's hilarious that the new entry under "Frequently Asked Questions" on the official site is "How do I become one of Jehovah's Witnesses?"
  • Lieu
    Lieu

I simply used to say Cristian when asked about religion.

JW is a sect of Christianity just like Anglican, Methodist, Catholicism, etc, it isn't "the" religion.

If God purposed us to be called Christian then that's it.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I always felt the reason for pendantic emphasis on the correct "I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses" as all good dubs are trained to say was more about ownership and reminding you of who you belong to.

I am one of Jehovah's Bitches would be a better modern description, cept it's the borg that owns dubs not sky daddy, so more accurately JWborg's Bitches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit