Jehovah Witness vs Jehovah's Witness

by Simon 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Does "Jehovah Witness" grate on you too or does it make more sense? - it definitely grates on me. The 's denotes possession. They are witnesses of Jehovah (although they haven't actually witnessed or seen him, but we'll leave that for now).

Trump supporters also grate on me. Something should be done about them.

• carla
    carla

I have heard people refer to them as "jehovahs" , "that guy is a big jehovah", "a bunch of jehovahs came in", "a jehovah was at my door" and "jehovah witnesses". People find it quite odd when they describe themselves as "one of .....". I never correct them, it gives me a little chuckle. They have been thumping on doors for what? 125+ years now and nobody knows what they teach or what to call them.

People do not get that a jw truly sees themselves as a witness of their God. To most people they see it as just a name for another denomination as previously mentioned, Catholic, Lutheran, etc...

Years ago my jw would get quite annoyed that I referred to them as "jw's" and not the full "jehovah's witnesses". And now you have jw's going in front of the President of the US wearing a (billboard size) lapel pin that says jw dot org while accepting honor and a medal for her non jw son who probably never got a birthday card from his mom because it would give him too much honor for his birthday.

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's just bad grammar. Bad grammar of any kind irritates me......especially in a potential partner and their literacy skills are worse than my kids.

Jehovah witness does indeed annoy me.

Kate xx

• Landy
    Landy

Bad grammar of any kind irritates me......especially in a potential partner and their literacy skills are worse than my kids.

My irony meter has just exploded ;)

• Landy
    Landy
    And what island man said - he's got it spot on.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@ Simon

I forget the name of the comedian in the UK but I remember the line "someone came to my door and said they were a Jehovah Witness, I said I didn't even know there'd been an accident".

that was the late Tommy Cooper---i saw it on tv.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

When my husband and I were still Witnesses I would correct his grammar. Needless to say he would get very annoyed with me. Yes, I often did it at inappropriate times. I was not always the "submissive wife". LOL Since he was a sought after public speaker I thought I was doing him a favor. I still correct his grammar and pronunciation from time to time, especially to clarify what he says. He often counters with, "you know what I mean!". Well, no, I don't always.

Poor grammar, spelling, and pronunciation have always grated on me. As I get older though I try more to live and let others babble on.

And while I was still a full cult member I would introduce myself as "one of Jehovah's Witnesses".

Reopened Mind

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, agreed. It is the grammatically correct thing to say "one of Jehovah's witnesses"

But we were also strongly told to NEVER abbreviate ourselves to "JW" (pronounced jay dub) as it showed "gross disrespect...

BUT NOW THE SOCIETY has endorsed that expression by the promotion of JWorg....

Amazes me really....

• blondie
    blondie

Actually when I was 11, the WTS and holy older jws said it was proper only to say "witnesses of Jehovah" or "Jehovah's witnesses".

Notice that "witnesses" was not capitalized because they did not want it to be considered a religious name but rather that witnesses for Jehovah. About 1970 suddenly "witnesses" was capitalized.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Down here in Alabama, among Black people, it's Jeehovah Witness - excessive emphasis on the Jee.

I always introduced myself at the doors as one of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses.

The Christian part always brought a listening ear.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit