Jehovah Witness vs Jehovah's Witness

by Simon 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

Being brought up as a Jehovah's Witness means you are so used to the term that you rarely stop to think about it.

One thing I've noticed is that people unfamiliar with the religion will say "Jehovah Witness" (no 's) instead which I always found a bit grating.

But watching the US election, something struck me. People are often referred to as "Trump Supporters", not "Trump's Supporters" and so on. Thinking about other things, people would say they were "United Fan's", not "United's Fans" and so on.

It seems weird that a group would refer to themselves as though it was someone else talking about them (in the 3rd person, if I have that right).

What do you think? Does "Jehovah Witness" grate on you too or does it make more sense?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

"Jehovah Witness" has always grated on me, even to this day! It doesn't even make any sense without the apostrophe and s. What is even worse is when I hear someone say that so-and-so is "a Jehovah". A what? Please! Your ignorance is showing. You might want to tuck that shit back in.

I have to admit that when I am in certain company who are discussing JWs and I do not want them to know that I was ever even associated with them, I will purposely say "Jehovah Witness" just to prove how far removed I am from them!

• Robo Bobo
    Robo Bobo
    It's grammatically awkward in English. You would never say "he is a Simon's friend."
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped
    I always said that I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Those other ways never made sense to me. Now they all turn my stomach.
  • Simon
    Simon

But no one would say, "I'm a Trump's supporter". They say "I am a Trump supporter". (forget for this analogy that they really probably just dribble and throw feces at the wall).

I forget the name of the comedian in the UK but I remember the line "someone came to my door and said they were a Jehovah Witness, I said I didn't even know there'd been an accident".

Everyone I know who wasn't one always said "Jehovah Witness".

• TheLiberator
    TheLiberator
    My old presiding overseer said that we NEED to say, "I am one of Jehovah's witnesses." Whatever.
  • prologos
    prologos
    I am one of Trump's supporters or I am one of the many Trump supporters?
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its a big thing for the JWS as they self proclaim that they are the only ones who truly preaching the correct version of the Gospel,  true witnesses and serving Jehovah.  

In reality they are proclaiming witnesses and subservient toward the Watchtower Publishing house.

Ironically The Watchtower has never been loyal and true to Jehovah according to scriptures in the bible.

• stephanie61092
    stephanie61092

Ugh yes that (Jehovah witness) would really grind my gears! Esp when it was coming from a long time JW!! I always felt a bit uncomfortable with Jehovah's Witness too, I ended up telling others that I was "one of Jehovah's Witnesses." A bit more to say but ultimately made more sense to me grammatically.

• Hisclarkness
    Hisclarkness

Always bugged me too. You are one of Jehovah's Witnesses or you are a witness of Jehovah.

It seems to be one of those weird grammatical exceptions; I dunno. It doesn't sound awkward to say you are a Trump supporter. What about saying you are a Trump witness for tomorrow's case? But saying you are a Jehovah Witness just sounds weird.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit