Nothing unusual to see here, I think

by Doug Mason 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

In my slow but relentless foray into the “Second Temple Period” I have marked up a few pages from one more source. It does not contain anything that is extraordinary, I think.

http://www.jwstudies.com/Reading_Romans_in_Context__intro__MARKED_UP.pdf

Doug

• Half banana
    Half banana

One problem here is the reference to Biblical accounts as if they are historical, such as things to do with the first temple, which mainly was a glorious but imaginary structure from the 10th century from a time period where archaeology shows no evidence for such building and that the inhabitants of the land would have been incapable of constructing it due to lack of resources.

The two Jonathons, Linebaugh and J D Worthington seem to be teachers of religion rather than secular academics. Without a dispassionate and critical appraisal, no progress can ever be made. Naturally they concur with the historical date for the destruction of Jerusalem but invoke divine prophecy at the same time.

Have you had a look at the books on biblical text and history by Thomas L Thompson?

Nevertheless well done for your determination to get to the root of things.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Thanks HB, I will have a look at that author's books.

My position with the Bible is that I do not believe the writings represent a literal documentary. They are not histories in the sense we would understand.

If someone were to investigate, for example, the culture surrounding the 21st century Harry Potter phenomenon would not mean anyone thought the material represented true history. But it would show the culture of a segment of a community.

Likewise with the Judaeo/Christian writings. Studying the Bible shows the culture of some people at some time. It shows how the religious leaders prosecuted their arguments. But it does not mean they wrote a literal documentary.

The 21st century significance of the Bible lies with its adoration by some.

Doug

• Half banana
    Half banana

Continuing your thought of Biblical "adoration", I think this is the biggest hurdle to scale in attempting to get an accurate picture of historical times and events of the period it covers. The sacralising of texts in the fourth century by the Catholic Church has formed an overwhelming tradition for an unthinking high regard for the Bible.

Darwin's biological evidence in Origin of the Species (1859) shocked the Christian world for its blow to Bible literalism. Yet nearly one hundred and sixty years later people still parrot "the Bible is God's word" and because people take things on trust, few find out for themselves how unreliable and misleading it really is.

The Holy book is nothing like divine wisdom, like Brighton rock the Bible has human frailty written though its length; savage retribution, nationalism, power along with fawning servility, conceit and hopeless dreams are its core material.

I agree with you DM, once we understand the Bible as human in origin we can then see how certain peoples thought in the past and note that in the 21st century we have at least made some progress towards democratic civilisation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit