Attended memorial last night

by StarTrekAngel 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

So since I have not been to any meetings in like 2 months because of health issues, I had to decide what to do about the memorial. My health has improved quite a bit and I feel much better than I did 2 months ago. I could still have used the "not feeling well" card and stay home. But since only my wife knows about my disagreements with this cult, and to avoid upsetting the balance, I decided to go.

A few weeks back, we had a brief discussion and I referred to her that it had not gone unnoticed that no one had bothered to come see me. She had mentioned that one of the elders wanted to and communicated so to her but he never did. She said everyone kept on asking about me. I said I was referring to an actual visit, not a scripted proxy greeting. Since that discussion, she made it a point to relate to me every greeting that they are sending to me thru her. Every time she came back from a meeting she would say... so and so says hi!. so and so asked about you.

So I also figure, when I attend the memorial, lets see how many of them actually come to me. Well, there is also this brothers, whom I use to play soccer with for like 3 years. Every Sunday, the whole congo would get together after the meeting to play soccer and this guy was there. Later on he married and moved out of state. He is a real dedicated and spiritual brother and every now and then he comes back to the congo to visit his parents. So he was one of the many who send his regards thru my wife, as he happened to be in town for the week. I figure that we don't really see each other anymore so he actually meant it.

Moving on to last night, we walked into the hall and there was a line of brothers and sisters (at least 12 of them) on each side of the door, greeting everyone who came in. It almost seemed fabricated (would not shock me if it was).

Total tally for the night? Those at the door were the only ones who bothered shacking my hand or my wife's hand for any matter. I don't believe this has anything to do with our spiritual situation, they simply did not care to see me there. And the brother that used to play soccer with me? We sat in the row right in front of him. When we were done, not even eye contact.

Again, at no point did I sense this was shunning. It was more like I never left. I say so because that is about how it felt before. So much for the loving brotherhood that it is so interested in me and my welfare. Its all words...

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE
    STA - Sorry to have to prick the bubble but we [elders] were instructed to do the Doorman thing on Memorial night - make sure we welcome all warmly especially the "submarines" and ensure that we get names of new faces with a view to the post-M follow-up etc So its not spontaneous although generally on M night everyone is kinda more "spirit-filled" and all smiles and huggy huggy back-slappy clappy clappy ............With the hindsight of being out [3 x Memorials now] its all a load of shite /
  • Magnum
    Magnum

we walked into the hall and there was a line of brothers and sisters (at least 12 of them) on each side of the door, greeting everyone who came in.

That is so weird; it seems so "churchy". It also seems phony and not genuine. I'm glad I didn't experience that (didn't go to Memorial); I think it would have sickened me.

It almost seemed fabricated (would not shock me if it was)

Looks like your suspicions were right according to ZAPPA-ESQUE; it was fabricated or planned; they were instructed to do it. They were following orders from Mommy.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I would not attend the memorial. What is the point? I would be considered 'lost/dead'. It would be a waste of time.

DY

• sir82
    sir82

She said everyone kept on asking about me.

This is what passes for compassion in many congregations.

"Oh, your wife / husband / son / daughter isn't here? Tell him/ her we missed him/her!" And nary a further thought.

If you want a real "deer in the headlights" look, after receiving a "Tell her we missed her" comment, suggest the speaker call or visit.

Gums will flap, eyes will blink, speech will fail, as the other person thinks to himself, "Wait....make an effort to show interest? I'm not going to do that!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit