Request For Awake 1946 3/27 page 16 - Explanation of 1Tim 6:15-16

by Bobcat 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I am endeavoring to find a digital copy of the 1946 Awake (Consolation?) issue 3/27 page 16. ("3/27" was how the WT pubs Index had it.)

What I am looking for is a quote with context of how they explained who 1 Tim 6:15-16 is referring to.

This particular publication seems to be in the center (timewise) of a change in belief on this subject. Here is what I have so far:

w1931 p. 75 - Applies to Jehovah

w1932 p. 58 - Applies to Jehovah

hp42 p.44 - Applies to both (1942 "Hope in a Righteous World" - see it here)

w1948 p. 347 - Applies to Jesus

So the 1946 Awake/Consolation is at a strategic point in this changeover. So far I haven't been able to find a digital copy of the magazine. The archive websites I had bookmarked seem to have closed down.

If anyone can provide a copy of a paragraph or two, or a link for downloading I would very much appreciate it.

Bobcat

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

The quote you need is in the first issue in this pdf - the March 27 issue

http://wtarchive.svhelden.info/archive/en/Consolation/g1946_consolation.pdf

The magazine changed names in August 1946

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

OrphanCrow:

Thank you very much.

Bobcat

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

You are welcome Bobcat

If the archive websites you have used before are not available, you might find this site useful:

http://wtarchive.svhelden.info/

• wifibandit
  • Listener
    Listener

Here's another link to JW publications provided by Atlantis

http://avoidjw.org/magazines/

• Splash
    Splash

Bobcat, some of your references are not quite correct.

Here are the results I found:

WHO DOES 1TIM 6:15-16 APPLY TO?

Jehovah - w1931 3/1 p. 76 para.2
    In 1 Timothy 6: 16 it is stated that originally God only had immortality.

Jehovah - w1932 4/1 p. 104 "The Dawn Of Creation"
    God is invisible to man, and always will be. It is He "who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see; to whom be honour and power everlasting". (1 Tim. 6: 16)

Both Jehovah and Jesus - hp42 p.44 - (1942 "Hope in a Righteous World")
    The apostle Paul, writing, of course, prior to the return of Christ Jesus and the setting up of the Kingdom, says of God: "Who ONLY HATH IMMORTALITY, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen." (1 Timothy 6:16) Had Jesus been immortal when he came to earth he could not have died as a ransom for humankind; but now since his resurrection from the dead, at which time God clothed him upon with immortality, the foregoing text (1 Timothy 6: 16) also applies to Christ Jesus as the only immortal creature of God.

Jesus - w1948 10/15 p. 317
    the apostle Paul said of Jesus at that time: "The King of kings, and Lord of lords; who only hath immortality." (1 Tim. 6: 15, 16)

Jehovah - w64 7/1 p. 406 par. 10 "Fully Accomplish Your Ministry"
    You may wonder how frail, mortal creatures could possibly reflect Jehovah’s glory, when no man can see his face and live. (Ex. 33:20; compare also 1 Timothy 6:16)

Jesus - w66 1/15 p. 39 "The Sign of the Son of Man"
    Like his Father, Jesus now "dwells in unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see."—Acts 1:11; 1 Tim. 6:15, 16.

Both Jehovah and Jesus? - w68 9/1 p. 520 Is Your Soul Immortal?
    At 1 Timothy 1:17 and 6:16 God and Christ are spoken of as being immortal, or incorruptible.

Jesus - w69 8/15 p. 484 Christ's Return—What Does It Mean for You?
    As a mighty invisible spirit creature, the resurrected Jesus "dwells in an unapproachable light," and "not one of men has seen or can see" him.— 1 Tim. 6:16.

Jesus - w08 9/15 p. 31 par. 2 Highlights From the Letters to the Thessalonians and to Timothy
    1 Tim 6:15, 16 - Do these words apply to Jehovah God or to Jesus Christ? These words apply to the one whose manifestation they describe, namely, Jesus Christ.

• Splash
    Splash

Found a few earlier references than you had too:

Jehovah - w1879 October Vol.1 No.4 R44 p.8
    God only has that life which never had a beginning and can never end. 1 Tim. 6:16.

Jesus - w1895 October 1 Vol.XVI No.19 R1872 p.226
    Then, too, as perfect men they will be the superiors and natural leaders of the world, and, according to promise, Christ will make them chiefs or "princes in all the earth." (Psa. 45:16.) They will be the seen representatives (Luke 13:28) of God's Kingdom, while Christ and the Church, the real spiritual rulers, will be unseen.--1 Tim. 6:16; Heb. 1:3; 1 John 3:2.

Jehovah - w1895 October 15 Vol.XVI No.20 R1879 p.239
    This quality inheres in Jehovah God alone, as it is written, "The Father hath life in himself" (John 5:26); i.e., his existence is not a derived one, nor a sustained one. He "only hath immortality" (1 Tim. 6:16)

Jesus - w1900 December 15 Vol.XXI No.24 R2747 p.383 "WHO ONLY HATH IMMORTALITY"--WHO?
    Question.--How should we understand 1 Tim. 6:14-16? Is it the Father or the Son who is referred to as the "King of kings and Lord of lords, who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto," etc.?
    Answer.--We understand that the Apostle here refers to our Lord Jesus.

Jehovah - w1906 Vol. XXVII No.11 R3788 p.172
    [Jesus is] God manifest in the flesh--the best possible manifestation of the Father amongst men, of that heavenly Father of whom it is declared, "Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen or can see." (1 Tim. 6:16.)

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

First of all, to everyone who responded, WOW! Thank you all for the info and links. And Splash for providing much more detail than I had found. It appears that the 'understanding' sways back and forth.

Aside from your responses, this reminds me of my one 'questions from readers' that I sent in to the Society. It was never published in the magazines, but I did get a polite letter back in the mail a few months later. I asked about a particular verse in the Bible. I quoted the few WT publications that commented on it (that covered about a 50 year period) and then I asked them what reasoning led them to their conclusion on the verse.

The reply, while polite, was maddening. It basically said, 'the publications say so-and-so' (I told them in the letter what the publications said; I wanted to know WHY they said it). At the end of the letter was a tactful, yet definite, reminder to keep in mind the more important things. They patted me on the head and told to remember to be a good little boy.

I should have realized that the person answering the letter was probably under strict orders to simply stick with what the pubs say. Somehow I imagined a truth loving organization that would be happy to expound on its published beliefs.

A couple of years later an MTS brother who seemed to have a lot of connections was assigned to our area. I was still trying to research older WT publications to find the answer to my question. There was a reference to a 1931 WT that I had no access to, so I asked this brother if he could ask one of his friends in Bethel if I could get a scan or xerox of the 1931 article. He said he would check. Some time passed, months. I was patient but I finally asked the MTS brother about it. He told me (only after I had asked) that they didn't have time for that.

And thus, my awakening process was in full swing . . .

How ironic the flood of responses to my request here. Thank you all!

Bobcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit