What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

"the purpose of life" makes a giant assumption that life is directed.

There is no end point that life is trying to get to, it simply survives the environment it's in and the life that adapts to suit it better or adapts faster when it changes is the life that succeeds.

• Simon
    Simon
    faith is more than reason alone. But faith seeks reason.

Faith is the absence of reason and rationality.

It runs scared from reason and science every time.

• looter
    looter

Just because someone feels that faith is the absence of reason and rationality doesn't mean you have to disrespect it. Have you ever considered the possibility of a certain faith in being true or maybe all the people who lacked faith will be proven wrong someday. The truth is that we don't really know when it will happen but I will attest that I believe that one day God will let people feel the wrath of him physically on this Earth. The only time belief that actually deserves disrespect is when the faith in whatever is being malicious but all I'm doing and others on here are doing is letting people come to realize that we know God exists and that he wants us to be aware of him but not just us but everyone alive today. If only more people thought about this though.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

we know God exists.....looter

Image result for Where is the proof?

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    It runs scared from reason and science every time.

Could you expand this assertion?

• cofty
    cofty
    Have you ever considered the possibility of a certain faith in being true - Looter

Yes. I was raised to value faith and then I became a born-again christian for 9 years after I left the cult. I know a lot about faith. I concluded that it is not true. I arrived at that conclusion based on a great deal of evidence. The debate is not between two sorts of evidence - it is between evidence and faith. There is no contest.

or maybe all the people who lacked faith will be proven wrong someday.

If you have any evidence that I am wrong about anything please share it. I don't want to be wrong any longer than necessary.

The truth is that we don't really know when it will happen but I will attest that I believe that one day God will let people feel the wrath of him physically on this Earth.

Threats are not a substitute for evidence. That is just a way of you trying to make yourself feel better about having no evidence. Stop it.

The only time belief that actually deserves disrespect is when the faith in whatever is being malicious

Like you just did for example.

Faith-based thinking deserves to be held up to scrutiny and exposed for what it is.

but all I'm doing and others on here are doing is letting people come to realize that we know God exists

No he doesn't.

If you have any evidence the he/she does please share it. I doubt there is a single argument for faith that I haven't considered but if you know something I might have missed I am open to listening to you.

• looter
    looter

Okay now you are making me mad, Cofty. God is and does exist and don't think I'm going to say he doesn't. You're just wasting your time because I know he is true and just because you let a false sense of evidence fill your mind, don't think you can do the same thing to me because as I said earlier I'm hip to that brainwashing jazz. You said you want evidence that he exists? Well I will give you evidence. How about the fact that you and I and billions are actually alive and well on this Earth today without harm and are sufficient? If God wanted to, he can crush us with his finger but he doesn't because he loves us. What about our own brain and the fact that our brain can have the ability to disbelieve in the Lord should give us evidence that he exists as if he didn't he wouldn't have gave us that ability.

The complexity of our brain as humans can only be through a designer. How about the fact that life goes in so many cycles. The fact that life itself is a cycle and the fact that we are born so well and so sufficiently should be proof enough that God exist and is alive and well and wants to help us otherwise we would be dead already. Don't you think it's hard to deny his love for us when you think about the process of birds and life itself and not just that but trees, the ocean, water, nature and all these things. May I ask you Cofty, do you remember what Luke said about God's creation? What about Jesus being alive on this Earth as proof that his father does exist. Everything Jesus said was to bring Glory to his father. Divine Glory. And please don't say Jesus didn't exist, as it's been proven that did many times.

What about what Jesus talk to crowds about most of the time. And what did he talk about most of the time besides his father? Christ talked about having a moral conscience and that is something that just doesn't come into existence. You can also reference it with what Daniel said in chapter 6 verse 4 about what Jesus talked about. The fact that even morals exist in the first place and show you that God exists because if he didn't we would all be robots only design for the loss of the world and the universe it's ridiculous that people think otherwise when they just refuse to look at these things. Don't you think that's pretty ridiculous for people to just overlook stuff that's very obvious? Would not you agree that God is the one that wrote the moral code that you possess in your heart because how else would have wouldn't have come into existence without someone making it for you and nurturing it through the years for you?

Even if we go by science which is your Holy Grail, most scientist today would say that he exists. Now why do they say that? They say it because those few scientist that actually know he exists know that something cannot come from nothing and that the Universe and life itself is just too complex for it to have come from rock, lightning, or gravity which is very ridiculous. Since most of science is investigation in the first place, the way I can prove God exists is by looking at everything around me and assessing how did he get here, where did it come from, and by what did it come through. And since you are so big on science you should do the same thing too because I know you are a smart person and you have good reasoning even though it is flawed from not believing in what so obvious. And just work with me as I am sure, like you said, you want to know more and trust in God. Didn't mean to be angry at you, but when people denounce what you believe in so much, it makes you angry. But bless you and I hope he helps you see what's true.

• cofty
    cofty
    as I said earlier I'm hip to that brainwashing jazz

Are you speaking to me from another decade?

How about the fact that you and I and billions are actually alive and well on this Earth today without harm and are sufficient?

Actually millions are not alive and well. Every second of every day infants die of all sorts of horrible diseases, parasites, bacterial infections and viruses that your god invented. Sometimes he murders people by the tens of thousand in disasters that he created.

Your first line of evidence fails.

Next you move on to a random collection of arguments from complexity.

Please tell me which books that present the evidence for evolution you have read. (I predict the answer is zero and that you will ignore the question)

The fact that even morals exist in the first place and show you that God exists

Actually the origin of ethics and morality can easily be explained in terms of evolutionary psychology. Did you know that many species of animal also display an understanding of ethical behaviour? Vampire bats are an interesting example.

If god is the source of morality then why does the bible promote such dreadful ethics? Your god approves of infanticide, slavery, kidnap, forced marriage/rape and genocide. He is beneath me. Before you try to disavow the OT in favour of gentle Jesus meek and mild remember that the murderous, capricious, moral monster of the OT was the god and father of Jesus.

most scientist today would say that he exists

Over 90% of the National Academy of Sciences reject god.

Next you resort to more random arguments from complexity. Once again please tell me which books that present the evidence for evolution you have read. (I predict the answer is zero and that you will ignore the question)

Here are links to 38 examples of evidence for evolution. Perhaps this would be a good place to start your research. See number 31 in particular.

#1 Protein Functional Redundancy
    Comparing the sequences of amino acids in ubiquitous proteins confirms the relationship between all living things.

#2 DNA Functional Redundancy
    Comparison of the DNA that codes for the amino acids of ubiquitous proteins predicts the tree of life with an astonishing degree of accuracy.

#3 ERVs
    Endogenous retroviruses that infected our ancestors are found in the same place of the genome of our closest primate cousins.

#4 Smelly Genes
    Hundreds of broken genes that used to code for olfactory receptors in our ancestors are still found in our genome.

#5 Vitamin C
    Why humans can no longer make their own vitamin C and what that tells us about our species' history.

#6 Human Chromosome 2
    Our second biggest chromosome is made up of two of our ancestors' chromosomes stuck end-to-end.

#7 Human Egg Yolk Gene
    Humans and our primate cousins have the genes for making vitellogenin and they are all broken in the same way.

#8 Jumping Genes
    Bits of parasitic code called ALU elements prove our common ancestry with primates.

#9 Less Chewing More Thinking
    A broken gene for a type of muscle fibre we no longer have tells a story about our evolutionary past.

#10 Non-Coding DNA
    In common with many other species huge amounts of our genome originated as copying errors.

#11 Tiktaalik
    An amazing fossil discovery illustrates the transition of life from sea to land.

#12 Lenski's E.coli Experiment
    An experiment with E.Coli, now in it's third decade, demonstrates the power of natural selection.

#13 Morris Minor Bonnets
    Evolution has to make do with building on existing designs as illustrated by the recurrent laryngeal nerve.

#14 Joey Goes to Oz
    Fossil evidence for the origins of marsupials found in Antarctica exactly as predicted.

#15 Robinson Crusoe
    The biogeography of oceanic islands presents an impossible dilemma for creationism.

#16 Aquatic Mammals
    An excellent sequence of fossils illustrates the evolutionary journey of whales from land to sea.

#17 Belyaev's Silver Foxes
    A 50 year breeding programme demonstrates the amazing power of selection and the interconnected nature of genes.

#18 Fish Fingers
    The evolution of limbs is mapped out in an amazing sequence of ancient fish fossils.

#19 Goosebumps
    A vestigial reflex bequeathed by our hairier ancestors.

#20 Lucy in the Sky...
    An exceptional fossil of a 3 million year old hominid.

#21 Footprints in the Sand...
    Footprints at Laetoli show our Australopithecus afarensis ancestors were bipedal 3.6 million years ago.

#22 The Hillocks of Hiss...
    A vestigial feature if the human ear shared by 10% of the population demonstrates our evolutionary history.

#23 Faunal Succession...
    The consistent sequence of fossils found in the rocks can only be explained by evolution.

#24 The Origin of Your Inner Ear...
    How the bones that reptiles eat with became the bones that we hear with.

#25 Deep Time...
    Scottish geologist Andrew Hutton discovered the proof of earth's great antiquity.

#26 Colour Vision...
    How gene duplication - new "information" -and mutation equipped us with trichromatic vision.

#27 Monkeys, Typewriters, Shakespeare, 747s etc...
    Evolution is a combination of random mutations and non-random selection.

#28 Something Darwin Didn't Say...
    A long term study of pigeons demonstrates how natural selection acts on a local population.

#29 Use it or Lose it...
    Fossil genes reveal the history of modern species.

#30 Your Third Eyelid...
    The remnants of a nictitating membrane reveals our evolutionary history.

#31 Ten Questions For Creationists ...
    The basic facts about reality covered so far pose an impossible challenge to creationism.

#32 Sexual Selection
    How female mating preferences led to some of the most remarkable features of living things.

#33 A Tale About Tails
    Human embryology reveals our primate history.

#34 Hiccups and Tadpoles
    How hiccups are a relic of our amphibian ancestors.

#35 Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
    Nature's ability to inflict pain and suffering in the battle for survival.

#36 Mass Extinctions
    96% of life was wiped out in The Great Dying 250 million years ago.

#37 Testicles
    The plumbing of the vas deferens gives evidence of our fish ancestry

#38 The Origin of Complex Cells
    How a merger of simple cells made complexity possible

• DJS
    DJS

Hip to brainwashing jazz? How many think that Looter is really a teenager, as he claims?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hip to brainwashing jazz?

How many think that Looter is really a teenager, as he claims?

Maybe a Teenager in the late 1930`s..LOL!!..

He could be posting from his Grave..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit