Don't let the sun go down on me.

by The Rebel 9 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

In appreciation of David Bowie who died a year ago today. Also to George Michael and all the other less famous people ( Mouthy, school friend. my aunt. and my neighbor) To all those who influenced our life and whose sunset in 2016.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Rebel, Rebel

Your face is a mess!

:0)

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I grew up with memories of George Michael, he attended Bushey Meads school, and I went to Cassio college when Geoge and Andy Ridgley were attending. ( Cassio college was a place kids went who failed O levels and couldn't get a place at university) I remember when I saw David Bowie, it was in Oxford Street and David Bowie walked by with a lady. He went in to a pub.

Elton John was also apart of my life. Like me he is a Watord f.c supporter ( Elton John not only gave his life to Watford F.C he spent a large part of his life and wealth taking the football club from the bottom division in English football to the top) and once at the chippy, he came in and bought chips, the security guards were outside, and he spent time buying chips and talking with us kids about the game. I was I think 11 years old at the time.

So what is the point of my story?

Well Gerri Halliway of the spice girls mother attended Watford congregation, and took Gerri on the doors occasionally . Hank Marvin guitarist of Cliff Richards "The Shadows" gave talks in the same congregation before he moved to Australia. I now live far from Watford, and I have met many talented people, not as talented as George Michael and David Bowie but more talented than Andy Ridgley and Gerri Halliway. So I have learnt that it's not appropriate to dismiss the talent of artists singing in the local pub. Their but being born in the wrong place could be them in stardom.

The world is so full of talented people, and the most talented people are often the kind and compassionate whose talents for being human we often miss.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Victoria Wood, Alan Rickman, Carrie Fisher, my cousin Julie.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

And as a family, our budgie, Charlie passed. He used to fly from his cage ( home) and eat my toast as we had a family breakfast. We put Charlie in a box and buried him in the forest and my boys last words to Charlie were "I will always love you Charlie"

• flipper
    flipper

Good thread Rebel, thanks for posting. I raise a toast personally to my mom who died a little over a month ago. Aside from my wife and son- one of my greatest friends I've ever had in my life. A wonderful human being who influenced me greatly- and made me everything that I am as a person today. I learned so much from her.

And a toast indeed to David Bowie whose music inspired me as well as his personality. A few months ago I already had a dream in which Bowie was playing some haunting beautiful tunes in my dream and it influenced me to write a new song based on what I recalled from the dream titled " Ancestry Walls we Weave " .

And a toast to all the beautiful people that passed in 2016. Gene Wilder ,etc . The list goes on and on. Rest well friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP, The Rebel.

I read somewhere that George Michael gave a lot of his money to charities and helped out in homeless kitchens, begging regular staff to keep his identity secret. I hope it's correct, and if so I have a new respect for the guy.

Let's also remember Muhammad Ali and Ronnie Corbett - they unfortunately passed away in 2016 ...

• Tallon
    Tallon

Personally I'm into rock music. The passing of Rick Parfitt, rhythm guitarist with Status Quo, is a blow to the world of music as well.

Read the news last night and learnt that another musician passed away - Peter Sarstedt. One of his major hit songs was; Where Do You Go To (My Lovely).

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Does anybody remembers the song " it's a wonderful life" by a singer named Black? He died in a car crash in September 2016.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Anybody who reads my posts will know of my love for Watford F.C.

On January 12 two days after starting this O.P Graham Taylor ( Ex Watford and England F.C manager) died of a heart attack at 71 yeas old.

Elton John was like a brother to Graham Taylor, and together in the 1970s, they created a football club which achieved the impossible, taking the club from the bottom of the 4th division to 2nd place in the top division. I tried to share those memories with my son last year, when before a match, Elton John and Graham Taylor were present to have sections of the stadium named after them.

Graham Taylor was not only a great football manager, he along with Elton created the first family football club. I remember how Elton got enjoyment speaking about the game with us kids,when he bought chips in the chippy. But more importantly I remember that Graham Taylor replied to my friends letters by first class post, when we young teenagers wrote questioning his team selection.

It was a Beautiful " Yellow Brick Road" ( The shirts of Watford f.c are yellow) a fantastic journey, and I never thought starting this " O.P" I would be adding the name " Graham Taylor" to the list. Thanks for the memories Graham Taylor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit