$55 million settlement

by jimbob 3 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jimbob
    jimbob

I apologize if this was posted already, but I thought it was interesting. Hopefully the Society is the next to pay up.

The full article can be found here...http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/08/08/priest.abuse/index.html

Boston archdiocese offers $55 million settlement

Lawyer: Hundreds who allege abuse considering terms

Friday, August 8, 2003 Posted: 8:33 PM EDT (0033 GMT)

alt
    Story Tools
    Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article
    Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site

RELATED
    $10 million settles alleged priest abuse caseBoston archdiocese refuses to settle abuse case

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- The Boston archdiocese has offered $55 million to settle an estimated 542 claims of clergy sex abuse, a lawyer representing alleged victims told CNN on Friday.

Mitchell Garabedian, who represents 120 of the claimants, said it's not certain whether the offer will be accepted.

"I am going to review it with my clients," Garabedian said. "There are a lot of details to go through."

The church would not discuss the negotiations.

"We don't make any comment about the substance of negotiations," said the Rev. Chris Coyne, a spokesman for the archdiocese. "There was a mediation meeting today. It went well, but we've agreed not to talk about it."

Garabedian said a "significant aspect" of the offer was that the church would pay for counseling after the cases are settled.

This is not the first settlement offer. Under Cardinal Bernard Law, the diocese offered $30 million to a smaller number of plaintiffs, and then backed out of the agreement when the archdiocese's finance council rejected the terms.

The church then made a $10 million settlement offer in September 2002, which 86 of Garabedian's clients accepted.

Law stepped down in December in the wake of the scandal, in which church officials are accused of shuttling priests from parish to parish after they were accused of sex abuse.

Archbishop Sean O'Malley was installed as head of the diocese July 30.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Wt management must soiling their suits when they read articles like this.

SS

• little witch
    little witch

The WT soiling their suits? I doubt it.

The Catholic Church was ''outed'' by victims, and eventually faced up to reality.

The WT never will. They still are a book publisher, and need the sales people on a choke chain.

At the first sign of the campfire dying down (the rules of the GB), the rank and file will break camp, and bolt.

The Catholic Church has a much looser grip. Relatively speaking.

They don't control by family bondage, only by Papal order and decree.

I would be much more inclined to hold a shred of respect for the RC Church, than for the watchtower society, who will change only when the last dog dies. (Literally)

• rocketman
    rocketman

Thanks JB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit