Your thoughts on the Libertarian party

by James Mixon 24 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I really like what Governors W.Weld and G. Johnson bring to the table.

Not familiar with the Libertarian party and will do some investigation,

but any thoughts on this party.

• scary21
    scary21

I'm all over the place. I like their social issues . Live and let live. Small government. I am a fiscal conservative first.

I like a strong military I don't think they are into that. But they like pot so that's cool

• never a jw
    never a jw

Mostly great ideas. the problem is selling those ideas to the people who benefit from big government, the majority. Not a chance they can win so you have to choose from the lesser of two evils. If social issues are your main concern, then vote for a moderate Democrat, if fiscal issues are your main concern, then vote for a moderate Republican. If principle is the diving force, then waste your vote for the Libertarian candidate. It's lonely being a Libertarian.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

scary21: I feel the same, it was refreshing hearing their ideas.

never a jw: I agree not a chance in hell they can win. "It's lonely being a Libertarian" come

to think of it I don't believe I have ever met a Libertarian.

• scary21
    scary21

I love John Stossel Check him out

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Mostly great ideas. the problem is selling those ideas to the people who benefit from big government, the majority. Not a chance they can win so you have to choose from the lesser of two evils. If social issues are your main concern, then vote for a moderate Democrat, if fiscal issues are your main concern, then vote for a moderate Republican. If principle is the diving force, then waste your vote for the Libertarian candidate. It's lonely being a Libertarian.

Sorry, this is the kind of thinking that created the current political mess in this country. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. For a long time two parties dominated national politics. Then some people with a new idea formed a third party, and refused to listen to those that they would never get anywhere. They succeeded in getting a guy named Abraham Lincoln elected president.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Sorry, this is the kind of thinking that created the current political mess in this country. Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Agree, however Libertarian policies have much less of a chance than the Republican Party did in the mid 19th century. As a younger person I was quite the Libertarian, but as I get older I become more of a Democrat that feels that the strong have to do the lifting for the weak. I rather didn't have the government dictating redistribution, but if left up to the individual we would have an ever growing gap between rich and poor, until the system collapses as it has many a time. Libertarian ideas are guiding principles for the strong, but they are hard to sell to the weak.

Do I sound condescending, elitist, Nietzschean?... perhaps

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Republicans are more likely to go libertarian than democrats, and with this election in particular, whatever gets people to not vote for trump, I'm all for it. It just means Hillary wins. So you would be making a statement against trump, yet not outright supporting Hillary. I say go for it.

My view of libertarians tho is this: former republicans who have decided they are more accepting of other people's definition of morality and believe strongly in freedom....yet they still don't give a crap about helping people, either internationally or within their own country. I may be a little wrong because I really haven't given them the time of day, despite being a political junkie.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Liberty is a great means to an end. We use our liberties to promote societal health and human happiness. But my problem with the Libertarian movement is they completely flip it around and value liberty OVER societal health and happiness.

Liberty - in degrees - is fundamental to fairness and equality. But liberty - as an absolute - is just plain chaos. We live in societies because we know that working together we can achieve exponential more than if we all worked on our own. And Libertarianism seems to ignore this basic truth. Freedom is about how we can all work together with the maximum amount of liberty. But freedom isn't infinite liberty.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

"Retirement planning is the responsibility of the individual, not the government. Libertarians would phase out the current government-sponsored Social Security system, and transition to a private voluntary system."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit