Anyone know of someone doing this or maybe you have done it

by phoenixrising 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

Anyone ever hear of someone getting DFed in a congregation then moving cross country and joining another JW congregation and not telling them you were DFed. ?

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

And why would you want to?

RB

• careful
    careful

I knew one well-known elder who used to speak about such a case, where one DFed bro. tried this out. The guy moved a couple thousand miles, faked a second conversion, and got baptized as a worldly convert. Eventually he was busted, most likely because someone who knew him from his old cong spotted him in his long-distance transplanted one. It's good to remember how closed the JW world is, even in large countries. Such a thing is risky given conventions, assemblies, the extended connections many JWs have, traveling overseers, etc.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Anyone ever hear of someone getting DFed in a congregation then moving cross country and joining another JW congregation and not telling them you were DFed. ?

There was a 40 something guy who moved in to our territory and told everyone he was from Alaska and had gotten a job locally. He took up with a 40 something Sister who had never married. They were soon engaged but the Sister's family were suspicious of him because pieces of his story didn't jive and he seem just a little too good to be true. They had him checked out and just in time, they found out that he was DF'd and was still married and had kids.

Between the internet and the smallness of the JW world, I think any DF'd person trying to pass themselves off as someone else, would soon be found out.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Had one come in once. Moved a thousand miles, came in where he thought no one would know him, and his dad and my dad were old friends from the 40s. I busted him. I dont feel bad as he seemed to be an arrogant jerk.

• RolRod
    RolRod

Many years ago when I first started out, there was a case. A brother was DF'd and he moved across country, started studying again, pretending to be a new interest. He got baptized, and eventually rose up the ranks of elder. But his past caught up to him while serving at a convention he ran into an old acquaintance, and he was again DF'd.

RR

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

If I ever had a chance I would become a slacker pew protestant of some sort. The kind of person who doesnt go, but holds the common practices. Sing hymns, xmas, haloween, have an obscure past. It wouldnt work, we carry too much baggage even without family.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PHOENIXRISING:

I’m not surprised this does happen.. A person wants to make a clean start without people being biased against them..but you can’t accomplish this in the Jehovah’s Witness religion.

The Witnesses send a letter when somebody moves to a new congregation and says where they came from. I think only the elders see it.

In some ways this is a protection and warns the new elders if this person is a problem. (What’s bad is if the congregation is not warned!).. Sadly though, this letter can be very biased against somebody and this may be unfair..But, there is nothing that John/Jane Q Publisher can do about this.

I had heard by gossip about one such letter that followed a person who came back after living elsewhere...It was very unflattering and suggested the person should have restrictions put on them, etc.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I remember as a kids my dad was asked to give the Sunday Public Talk at another congregation in the circuit. I recognized a brother from our congregation that had been disfellowshipped. I remember my dad telling my mom on the ride home that he let the body of elders in that congregation know that this brother was DFed in our congregation and then disappeared.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit