Is this the best you have to offer. Trump / Clinton?

by Lostandfound 18 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's a drug addition. Opium (OPM) Other-People's-Money.

Everyone want's something for nothing, or rather, at the expense of someone else. At every level, the citizen expects more but doesn't want to pay more. This is particularly manifest by those who receive Government assistance (welfare, etc), or other Gov't "entitlements", even Social Security (because the elderly collect far more than they & their employer ever paid into the fund).

As a result, politicians have seen this is how to get (re)elected. Promise the voter more than is affordable. There are people drawing welfare who are at least the 3rd generation of welfare recipients. Why did the unfortunate/disadvantaged parent or grandparent not make the effort that their child or grandchild bettered themselves?

Social Security was never intended to be a retirement program. It was to provide the bare essentials of some unfortunate person who lost everything (such as in the depression). Now a large segment of society sees it as their "retirement" and think it should be sufficient to allow them to "live the life" of all those who were responsible and saved for the future. COLAs were added to SS and Gov't pensions to compensate in the years of runaway inflation. They are still there even though inflation is low. COLAs are no different than welfare as the recipient never paid in the funds to pay for this annual increase.

It's a snowball that will crash eventually and be an avalanche of a disaster.

Doc

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

However i do not think they are "hateful and narcissitic".

Narcissistic = "having an excessive or erotic interest in oneself"

It's hard to disagree that Americans are narcissistic. It's just a fact. Americans (pardon generalization) care little about anything or anybody that is not American, especially Trump's voter base.

As far as hateful, perhaps that's strong word. Intolerance might be a better word.

Again, obviously as a country of contrasts, the US equally has large amounts of people that are enlightened and reasonable, but the sheer number of numbskulls is daunting.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

There's Bernie Sanders who got quite a groundswell of support in a short period of time. He's not likely to win but he does represent a sizeable portion of the US.

Yeah, it's really too bad he doesn't have the delegates in his back pocket the way Hillary does. I voted for him in the primary, and would certainly vote for him over any Republican.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound
    I had no idea that benefits were not just a UK thing, and thought in USA people who lost jobs or were disabled had nothing to fall back on. Are benefits generous? I paid into State Pension all my working life as well as my employers pension scheme. Now I am retired I get both but pay taxon them, people who never worked get all benefits tax free here so honest workers like millions like me paid into and are paying a heavy load to keep the benefit claimants. Had no idea that benefit culture strong in US. In KH i attended lots claiming disability but able to volunteer as roofers on old RB schemes. Honesty not very deep when chink of free money around.
  • TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

There will be other candidates on the ballot besides Clinton and Trump. It might be time for a Libertarian (Gary Johnson) to have a go at it, that's who I will be voting for.

• Simon
    Simon

Two party politics focuses on picking what the party wants, not the best candidate.

Nowadays it's turned into who can convince the public via the media that they are the most entertaining.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I'm planning to do a write in.... I don't like either candidate and I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils. Those are the only choices I have ever had as a voting American. I'm not yet sure who I will write in, but at least I will be voting for what I feel is right.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am going to hold my nose and vote for Hilary. I do not like her and have serious questions about her integrity, but her politics are fairly close to mine and I believe she is by far the lesser of two evils. Trump is a narcissistic jerk, I can't imagine his presidency would be anything but a disaster.

• kaik
    kaik

I am here with Lisa. I will be voting for Hillary, but I do not want her having a president. Possible Trump policy are far more disastrous for mankind. It is enough that Putin and China wants him to be a president. They know why. Trump will weaken NATO and American alliances, and would cede control of Eastern Europe back to Moscow. China is hoping to continue with bilateral trade which is one reason for economic imbalances in the world economy and benefits only handful of rich industrialists in USA while American workers suffer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit