Potential Life and Death Issue for Faders?

by M*A*S*H 5 Replies latest watchtower medical

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

Please excuse if this topic is duplicated elsewhere. However I had not thought of the issue highlighted in the article from the point of those potentially fading before.

https://www.the-newshub.com/general/life-or-death-for-former-jehovahs-witnesses

So what happens when a medical emergency arises?
    In the event you face a medical emergency in which you are incapacitated, JW elders and family show up to produce legal documents that will allow them to take over your medical care including withholding blood to cause your death. To further complicate matters, often when former members leave they often hold to this perpetrated fraud promotion thinking that blood is some form of inferior treatment that should be avoided when medical treatment calls for it. So they do nothing about their legally filed paperwork with the JWs. As a result, they give a cult the keys to their medical care and provide them with the rights to legal murder.

Has anybody heard of the JW elders potentially enforcing non blood treatment for someone fading in this potentially scary scenario?

The article has a link to a 'durable power of attorney' form which presumably can override the JWs medical form. I have no clue to the legality of it, but presumably it would be better than nothing!?

• geevee
    geevee

We have told our Doctors and also the Hospitals in the local area that we have changed our personal stance as far as faith and the medical use of blood is concerned and that we would be happy with the treatment necessary to save our lives including blood! I did savor the moment of putting my blood card through the shredder!

The Doctors and the Hospitals noted the change on our records.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

All the more reason never to lodge anything with the congregation and to ensure that your current views are formally documented with your doctor and any other medical institution that may be contacted in the event of an emergency. Don't carry a card, even a blank one. If at all possible tell your husband or wife that you will accept blood and get them to agree to respect your wishes.

As far as I know, at least in the UK, the HLC have no formal powers but they will attempt to influence family. Even then, if the doctors have a clear statement of your wishes there is nothing anyone can do - your word trumps everything else.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I started a thread about this a while back.

I've been to my doctor's and they've altered my stance on their records. I'm going to make up a pro blood blood card that I can keep about my person, my doctor has agreed to sign it, so that should counteract any five year old no blood document the elders could produce.

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

@disposable hero of hypocrisy

Glad you already brought this up. I had never considered fading as potentially life threatening... now I think it should be mentioned to any and all posters talking about fading.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Without doubt it is something you should do, visit your Doctor and inform them of your new found common sense.

I did, and was gratified to find that there was no record on my notes, ever, of my having been a JW !

Mind you, I never carried a No Blood Card for many a year, and probably never thought to mention anything to any of the Doctors in my Practice, I have been a patient there since 1970.

But all you guys and gals in possible danger should make the small effort to make sure you are safe, what a terrible thing if the cult took your life when you had left anyway !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit