How the Need for An Elder to "Preside Over His Household in a Fine Manner" Forces Kids Out

by TMS 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TMS
    TMS

Twelve years ago, I submitted this comment to the JWD board, relating to the practice of disfellowshipping young people from the congregation:

"I am angry at the way Jehovah's Witnesses treat their most precious endowment; their young, developing, stumbling, exasperating, questioning, experimenting, growing offspring.

At the very most urgent time in their young lives; when they need the most reassurance, nurturing, patience, understanding and forgiveness, Witness parents, under the direction of their congregation elders and governing body, toss thousands of these young ones out into the cold, cruel world, allowing them to virtually self-destruct.

Many of these castaways are still in their teens.

There is NO excuse, Biblical, human, parental or otherwise to shut off all the guidance resources these young ones have ever known. The human wreckage of this disgusting practice is astronomical. The act of disfellowshipping teenagers and other young persons is probably the most unshepherdly and cowardly activity of the Watchtower. It is a heinous crime.

All these years later, I would like to touch on another common problem for JW men who want to preserve their status as "elders," while seemingly caring for the physical, financial, psychological and "spiritual" needs of their family.

! Timothy 3: 4,5 describes someone qualifying to be an elder as "a man presiding over his own household in a fine manner, having his children in subjection with all seriousness+ 5 (for if any man does not know how to preside over his own household, how will he care for the congregation of God?)"

What happens when a man serving as an elder finds that one or more of his teenage children are showing signs of rebellion, even facing judicial action? The offenses could range from an inappropriate hair style to "apostate" comments, "worldly" dating, fornication, drug use, etc.

I've known elders of means who could afford a separate apartment for the offending teen or young person. A medical doctor, who was also a JW elder, took this option, using his need to collect the rent and utilities as an opportunity to have "necessary association" with his disfellowshipped son.

A close relative, who happens to be the Chairman of the Body of Elders, COBE, is dealing with this situation right now. His eldest son, who was smart enough to never get baptized, just got out of prison and is living at his parent's home. They are desperately looking for options as the young man has several habits that could be problematic to a man attempting to "preside over his household in a fine manner."

Admittedly, this would be a trying situation, even without the need to protect the cherished privilege of eldership, but, with 1 Tim 3:4,5 hovering over like a black storm cloud, this father is desperate to find other accommodations for his inconvenient son.

Again, this religion, doesn't just make parenting difficult, it sometimes forces a JW parent to simply abdicate their role as parent.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

All I can say about this, I'm really glad that I won't be in their shoes when it comes to their day of Judgement, not when it comes to my children. My children was the top reason why I walked away from that cult.

• TMS
    TMS

Tameria,

You made the right decision. Kids don't typically fare well as JWs in my opinion and I do have considerable experience in this area. Not even considering the two JW gay suicides in my personal experience, both young people, I see underachievers left and right, the guilt, the lack of social skills, premature marriage from a limited choice of prospects, huge resentment over lost opportunities, not to mention the anger that comes from learning "the truth about the truth," as it is phrased on this board.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Again, this religion, doesn't just make parenting difficult, it sometimes forces a JW parent to simply abdicate their role as parent.

It`s much more than that..

Watchtower Gives JW Parents with NO Moral Compass..

An Excuse To Be,Inhuman,Heartless Assholes..

Most JWs Are Good With That..

Image result for Watchtower logoImage result for heartless assholeImage result for Watchtower logo

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I think that if an elder is having family problems, he needs to give more attention to his family. Personally, I do not see how I could kick my child out if he was having problems or got df, I would devote my time to try to help my child and cater to his needs. The way the congregation is set up though, it is a disgraceful thing to be deleted and that is one reason why some men choose to kick out their kids- in order to keep their position. But I suppose that if an adult child is just determined to sin and just refuses to submit to parental love and guidance there comes a point where it is just too painful to have the adult child live in the house, but the decision to kick out the adult child (age 25+) should not depend on pressure of being fired from a position in the congregation. The fact is though that a man is pressured to throw out his son or be fired from his position in the church if the son is determined to sin. But if the son tries to repent that is a different story, but it may still may be better for the elder to quit and to spend more time with his family.Too bad though because the way the congregation is set up, when a man is deleted, it usually does not turn out good for him either because it is a disgraceful thing even though the man is doing a noble thing by stepping aside to assist his family.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

humble and elder aren't words that I think go together very well

• New day
    New day

I agree Fisherman. I stepped aside some time ago to look after a family situation which required so much time and attention that it was impossible to continue as an elder. It was my choice, I was not disqualified. However, I recently found out had there had been some speculation that I had been removed, so some people were wary of me. So, whatever the reason, you can still be viewed with suspicion by people, as unless you tell them yourself what really happened, they can speculate the wrong way. Years ago if you decided to step aside, what happened in our part of the world was that you were warmly thanked in the announcement from the platform for all your hard work, so it was obvious that you chose to do it. Now the same generic announcement covers everybody, leading to speculation.

• prologos
    prologos

this bizarre, one rule fits all situations "bible-based" policy has created odd responses. The hard facts are though, that in many family cases, no amount of additional attention by the father will forestall an offspring going off the wt rails. So, relax and take the temporary wt setback not too seriously, elders!-- there is life after eldership shipwreck. ,

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The ancient Hebrews were cruel ignorant people and since the WTS/JWS try to emulate this ancient civilization in it social moral behavior, is it any wonder the JWS religion is so harsh and abusive to children ?

I've seen so many JWS teens given the boot out their families and homes simply because they didn't conform to the strict controlling directions laid by the Watchtower Corporation heads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit