Kudos to Those in Military Service or Happy Belated Veterans Day

by Perry 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Perry
    Perry

In recent years I have come to value our military more and more as time goes by. As a JW, I was trained to view those in military service as murderers; or misguided fools. They are anything but that. They are true heroes that help bring order to society. True, standing armies have not always been on the right side of history, but when they represent a population that values freedom, they are more often than not. Even their very existence encourages people to behave themselves.

I have often thought it strange how the first non-Jew to become a Christian was an active duty Roman army officer - Cornelius. Why I never bothered to question the WT demonization of the military in spite of this fact is beyond me.

Christians were found all over the early Christian world. One legion in particular is fascinating since they were all Christians and were all martyred simply for not denouncing their faith in Jesus. They did not even put up a fight when sentenced. Amazing.

The Roman Theban Legion

- All 6600 Martyred for Jesus in 286 A.D.

Even John the Baptist didn't ask the soldiers of his time to quit their service. He simple told them to abandon deception and do their jobs honestly:

Luke 3:14 (NKJV)
    14 Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, “And what shall we do?” So he said to them, “Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.”

So Cheers to all those in the military that perform their duties. All of them give some, some of them give all.

Where would we be without them?

• Perry
    Perry

Nice write up on The Theban Legion

• Heartsafire
    Heartsafire

Perry, thanks for that link. Ive recently had this discussion with my husband. He has strong anti-military viewpoints, and I've mentioned Cornelius to him as an example. I can always use more supporting info, and hopefully this link will help.

Also, Happy Veterans Day (belatedly) to all those who serve or have served.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Not something I say often (scripture quotations notwithstanding;) I agree with Perry.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Very good post Perry & thought-provoking verse. (totally by-passed me!)

"And the soldiers likewise asked him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said to them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely, and be content with your wages." (WEB)

"And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages." (KJV)

A different slant on the verse is given depending on which Bible version you consult. Several other translations (including RNWT) render it as 'harass' or 'extort'.

Vine's defines it this way - "Violence, Violent, Violently: "to shake violently," is used in Luke 3:14 "do violence," including intimidation." Interesting discussion point.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    Good points Perry, thanks for posting!!!
  • LV101
    LV101
    I'm with you, Perry, re/valuing the military - thank you for your post.
  • bobld
    bobld

JW do not have the correct pov on this matter.See Nov wt on god's pov on war.

If god personally waged war against nations because they were wicked and oppressive.Should not war be used today against nations that are wicked and oppressive,ie Nazi Germany.

P8 illustration of two siblings they forgot their names Cain,Abel and father Jehovah.

Do not give me the bs about J.C.If you don't need solders than you don't need police.Delete the New York city police force and see the wonderful peace and security in the big apple.

I

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit