Existential Psychotherapy

by Brokeback Watchtower 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Existential Psychotherapy: Death, Freedom, Isolation, Meaninglessness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqc5MD6qV0

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I think watching this video we can see how the WT corporation can use the fear death to enslave one into cult conformity to the extent that the person can not live an authentic life by enslaving them to corporation directives. According to this video denial or suppression of our eventual death causes anxiety and depression.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Existential guilt can really fuck you if you don't do something to relieve it. Can be a good thing if you take time to face it and live your life as authentically as possible, with more energy it's all psychological isn't it?

• jp1692
    jp1692

That's some pretty heavy stuff!

My takeaway from the video was that what kind of life we have is not just about our circumstances, but it is up to us as individuals to do the hard work to have the kind of life we can and should have. Most people just aren't up to doing the hard work. They want easy answers even if it means being used, abused and taken advantage of.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

That seems to be the more comfortable way to be just like the herd.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-actualization

Self-actualization is a term that has been used in various psychology theories, often in slightly different ways. The term was originally introduced by the organismic theorist Kurt Goldstein for the motive to realize one's full potential. Expressing one's creativity, quest for spiritual enlightenment, pursuit of knowledge, and the desire to give to and/or positively transform society are examples of self-actualization. In Goldstein's view, it is the organism's master motive, the only real motive: "the tendency to actualize itself as fully as possible is the basic drive... the drive of self-actualization."[1] Carl Rogers similarly wrote of "the curative force in psychotherapy – man's tendency to actualize himself, to become his potentialities... to express and activate all the capacities of the organism."[2] The concept was brought most fully to prominence in Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs theory as the final level of psychological development that can be achieved when all basic and mental needs are essentially fulfilled and the "actualization" of the full personal potential takes place,[3] although he adapted this viewpoint later on in life, and saw it more flexibly.[4]
    Self-actualization can be seen as similar to words and concepts such as self-discovery, self-reflection, self-realization and self-exploration.
    As Abraham Maslow noted, the basic needs of humans must be met (e.g. food, shelter, warmth, security, sense of belonging) before a person can achieve self-actualization – the need to be good, to be fully alive and to find meaning in life. Yet, Maslow argued that reaching a state of true self-actualization in everyday society was fairly rare. Research shows that when people live lives that are different from their true nature and capabilities, they are less likely to be happy than those whose goals and lives match. For example, someone who has inherent potential to be a great artist or teacher may never realize his/her talents if their energy is focused on attaining the basic needs of humans.
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

When I first found out that JWs don't have the truth I was thrown into the throws of an existential crisis that was February 2001 I was 46 years old, it took a couple of more months before I started to realize I was going to die some day, it took a couple more years 2004 before I realized the bible was full of shit, and I dropped some what deeper in the crisis.

It felt like a complete melt down, let my prosperous business go down the tubes, I couldn't focus to do my taxes, balance my check book, and I maxed out all my credit cards, the government started garnishing my wages after I sold my business and it took me to 2010 to climb out of debt with out declaring bankruptcy.

During this time of emotional unhingment I tried all kinds of psychedelics to try and get some type of break thru. I think I had serious brain shrinkage(due to cramming my head with WT corporation propaganda). Eventually the fog started to lift and my mental faculties returned and I started to take more charge of my life.

So if you're new to finding out about the lies of the WT corporation and depending to on age, how much you have been indoctrinated with their bull shit, etc...be patient become proactive in getting this bull shit out of your neural networks and do lot of internet searches and find out for your self what meaning "you" can give to your life face the universal reality that you're gonna die and live your life to the full in freedom.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    BW: That seems to be the more comfortable way to be just like the herd.

Yes. It's not coincidental the the Bible uses the term "sheep" for those that blindly follow.

BTW, I appreciated the brief recounting of your experience realizing JWs do not have "the Truth." It's a painful realization and a difficult process to recover from. Good for you for doing the hard work.

• Brokeback Watchtower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit