Data privacy: Mormons compared with JWs

by slimboyfat 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mormon missionaries move around during their two-year preaching missions, but the phones they use remain in the different preaching locations. This means that contact details of “interested persons” are routinely passed on from one missionary pair to the next, when the phone is handed over. In order to comply with the new data protection rules, missionaries now ask for consent to keep data from their contacts. My experience is that this request for consent, where the missionaries already have your mobile number, consists of the brief question, “is it okay if our church makes contact with you by text message?” I said okay, and later that day received a link to this page.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/legal/privacy-notice-missionary-eea?lang=eng&_r=1&country=go

Rather than asking for consent, the page apparently assumes that consent has already been provided verbally to the missionaries. This page states that if you “express interest” and “establish contact” with missionaries the following information, if provided during that contact, will be stored and shared with other missionaries:

Contact and personal information

• First and last name
    • Street address (including country of residence)
    • Phone numbers
    • Email addresses
    • Age range
    • Preferred language
    • How contact was initiated (referral, street contacting, self-referred, and so forth)
    • Status in relation to the Church (for example, member or not member)
    • General information about the person’s background and Church-related interests
    • If a person chooses to stop engaging with missionaries, the reason why (for example, no longer interested)

Which strikes me as an extensive array of data stored on the basis of a very brief process of consent. Other information on attendance and engagement with the church may also be recorded, it says, for a period of up to two years following the latest meaningful contact.

By contrast JWs in the UK seem to have been instructed not to request or gather any data at all, except for the brief mention of the fact that you can give your own contact details to the householder if they wish to contact you.

Concluson: Mormons seem to be much more organised to deal with the new data protection rules and, if they have interpreted the rules correctly, and are in compliance with them, it appears not to be any great barrier to them collecting and sharing lots of information from potential converts. That being the case, why are JWs acting as if the new data rules mean an absolute end to the collection any meaningful data on the ministry?

• cofty
    cofty

One reason might be that Mormon missionaries represent a tiny minority of members and they can be properly trained to comply with correct procedures. While on mission they can't even take a shower without being supervised by their partner.

All JWs knock doors. Some of them couldn't be trusted to tie their own shoe laces. A percentage of them would inevitably mess up and get the cult into trouble.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That could be part of it. They do have a midweek meeting each week which is supposed to train all JWs how to do the ministry. They could allow pioneers to gather data, if not publishers in general. I just get the impression that Watchtower overreacts to new situations, is disorganised, and doesn’t pay attention to detail.

Regulations for Mormon missionaries have been relaxed in the past year or so. I don’t know about taking a shower, but missionaries are now allowed to contact their family on a regular basis, have smart phones, social media, and internet access while on mission. All previously forbidden.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Also, Mormons are educated (smart) unlike your average JDub. Lol

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

They usually go on mission before higher education, plus there’s a huge variety as regards intelligence

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I guess that depends on you giving over your mobile no. , something I would not do. But other people are not like me.... it seems to work.

Certainly they are better trained and more business like.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

why are JWs acting as if the new

data rules mean an absolute end to

the collection any meaningful data

on the ministry?

If Watchtower would use the Mormon approach they would knock down one of their default knock down defenses in courts and legal procedures: all JW activities are strictly personal activities by individual JW.

They argue this in Russian courts wrt meetings and preaching.

They argue this in USA courts when it comes to elders handling CSA cases.

The cart witnessing instructions tell the JW to stress that their activities with the cart are personal activities of anyone asks, and any permits should be put to a personal name rather than the congregation.

They tried arguing preaching is wholly personal in Europe to get out from under GDPR.

Hell, it can be said that even appointing elders is a personal activity of COs.

Why does Watchtower do this? To evade liability and responsibility. They don't want anyone coming after them or their money.

Adopting the Mormon GDPR procedures would tell everyone that preaching is a centrally organized corporate effort.

(Well, since the courts everywhere already saw through the 'personal activity' nonsense they might just as well do as Mormons do wrt GDPR)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit