Congratulations, Emma Raducanu!

by LoveUniHateExams 7 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Congratulations to Ms Raducanu, from Orpington, Kent (my hometown).

She has just won the US Open on Saturday. I don't have a TV license or a TV, but I did manage to see the final in my local pub. And the two finalists didn't disappoint - it was a cracking match with a high level of tennis.

And Raducanu triumphed 6-4, 6-3. Her achievement is pretty much unprecedented. She is the only tennis player of the Open era, male or female, to qualify for a slam and then go on and win that slam. She won 10 matches in a row, without dropping a single set. That's pretty f**king awesome, excuse my French.

I'd like to see how she deals with expectation in next year's US Open, but she seems to have a sensible head on her shoulders so I expect her to compete in future grand slam finals.

She will in all likelihood be around for many years to come.

She could be the future of women's tennis.

US Open: Tennis wins big with Emma Raducanu, Leylah Fernandez, Coco

• waton
    waton

interesting, that both finalist come from mixed race marriages with oriental mothers. both born in canada too.

remixing the human race to near - edenic perfection.

• jhine
    jhine

LUHE - Amen to that Brother. : )

Jan

• Freemail
    Freemail

Yep. Great win for Romania.

• St George of England
    St George of England

You mean she has been to Orpington or lives there. She is hardly FROM Orpington. Born in Canada of Romanian father and Chinese mother.

I would be showing my age to mention Zola Budd.

George

• Simon
    Simon

Isn't she the daughter of a wealthy banker?

The "child of immigrants" narrative paints a different picture to what most imagine.

Well done to her, but let's not have her as a reason to throw the doors open to illegal fighting age men arriving on the beaches.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

let's not have her as a reason to throw the doors open to illegal fighting age men arriving on the beaches - I quite agree.

Raducanu is an example of good immigration - her parents came here legally, got good jobs, obey the law and pay their taxes. They brought up a talented, well-adjusted daughter who now has a stellar career ahead of her.

There is simply no comparison between the Raducanus and the morons in the rubber dinghies who wash ashore at Dover or Folkstone.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

She is hardly FROM Orpington - she has been in the UK since she was two years old. She is British, at least to some degree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit