Second Temple Period: Messiahs (Draft)

by Doug Mason 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I have been researching the Second Temple Period (2TP) for a little while and there is more I have yet to do.

I am preparing a series of 5 Studies (plus a separate list of resources) and the first Study has reached its Draft stage.

Normally, I do not make a Draft publicly available, but for several reasons I decided to do so this time. This Study deals with the Messiahs prior to and during the 2TP.

As this is a Draft, I will appreciate – even encourage – any feedback, especially criticisms and corrections.

Messiahs (Draft): https://jwstudies.com/2TP_Messiahs.pdf

Resources (Draft): https://jwstudies.com/2TP_Resources.pdf

Doug

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Doug, I will read later, and only comment if necessary, but I must say, your research has been an astounding eye-opener to me, and given me a much broader appreciation of the evolution of the idea of a Messiah, and therefore of the frailty of Christian Doctrine on the matter. Thanks you very much.

Your links to your Sources also provide many hours of further reading for me !

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Thank you so much, Phizzy,

As you will see, this Study is one part of a series on Judaeo-Christianity's soteriology.

I am at present learning about the Second Temple Period and when it became clear that a single Paper would have been overwhelming, I broke the Period into 5 Studies, with this one on Messiahs being the first to reach its Draft stage.

I am now working on bringing my Study that deals with "Death and Resurrection" to its Draft stage. I want to present the subject(s) chronologically as possibly as it will let me.

Of course, these various features intertwined. For example the introduction of an Eschatological Messiah late in the Second Temple Period cannot be isolated from subjects such as Resurrection nor from the literature they produced at the time.

Doug

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Ambitious project, all the best. You might enjoy : Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins: Diversity, Continuity, and Transformation.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

oeacefulpete,

I apologise for not responding earlier, but I know you will understand how this project is occupying my time.

Thank you for your recommendation, which I located without any difficulty at PDFDRIVE.COM

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit