Self-Driving vehicles and delivery robots - why?

by FadeToBlack 32 Replies latest social current

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think it's harder for a robot to say much about giving a tip ... whether it fits into the 10-15% standard here in the States ...

Unless maybe after you short it on the tip that it reaches out and tasers the family jewels.

Rub a Dub

• hoser
    hoser
    I've been told that driverless vehicles rely on the lane markings to know where they are. It doesn't work too well when the markings are covered with snow.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

I would never mess with this new breed of delivery robots ... you mess with them and who knows ...

You wake up in the middle of the night and you are having a colonoscopy that you never requested.

And you hear laughter in the background ... and something like WD40 on your bedsheets.

Rub a Dub

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@hoser: that might have been how early systems worked, but I think it has progressed a bit: From howstuffworks describing google's system:

Lidar works like radar and sonar, but it's far more accurate. It maps points in space using 64 rotating laser beams taking more than a million measurements per second to form a 3D model in its computer brain that's accurate to the centimeter. Preloaded maps tell the system where the stationary stuff is -- traffic lights, crosswalks, telephone poles -- and the lidar fills in the landscape with moving objects like people. It also has regular ol' radar, a camera and GPS to help out.

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung
    Automatic cars indeed will probably be much safer. Drivers in public transportation might also be replaced by remote supervisors, similar to how the air force pilots are flying drones. and corporations have no intent in preservation of low end jobs, that is a worry for politicians. and for witnesses who are strongly admonished to miss out on university education
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ FadeToBlack...

Dude, it was a joke.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    @VIdiot: yes, I think the smiley face at the end gave it away! But, the point about 'illegal immigrants' is still valid. Who is going to do that work if the gov't suddenly decides they have to go back to where they came from (and not return). The gov't needs to make up its mind and come up with some type of temporary worker status.
  • Kick50r
    Kick50r

"Self-Driving vehicles and delivery robots - why?" Well , they exist because we can.

We are intelligent as human beings enough to make them a reality , Corporations use technology to make money, in the near future only a very LOW PERCENTAGE of population will have a skill not replicated cheaply by a machine/robot/computer/automation systems.

The first tec revolution was in agriculture, heavy industry ,recently in manufacturing,services , finance, everywhere. Thats the main reason the unemployment will realistically never go down.IF they will be all professions in the future I imagine? Ofc , only in a FRACTION of the values they were

The problem is not technology , unless we want to go back to live in caves , without plastic/electricity/etc etc etc.

The problem is people are not aware enough to make happen a new fair redistribution of wealth, because in the end , what good is to have a MIRACLE TEC , if only 4/5 people benefit from it , while everybody else around them despairs?

The patent systems as they are at the moment are a scam, they don't promote science innovation al ALL, instead protect the corporations that exploit and enslave populations using politicians FOR PROFIT of a few.

Take Care

• prologos
    prologos
    Formula ! neighbours again. will we have races with self drive cars?
  • joey jojo
    joey jojo

Worldwide, car accidents kill a person every 25 secs. That's about 1.25 million a year. How many more are maimed or crippled?

Removing the human factor would no doubt make a big difference.

Human factor: ego, temper, tiredness, distraction, carelessness, speed, drugs,alcohol, inexperience and stupidity to name a few.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit