Archangels

by dogisgod 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

The JWs teach that JC is Michael the archangel. How many archangels does the bible mention? Is it three?

• St George of England
    St George of England

As far as I am aware there is only one Archangel and that is JC.

Just don't ask any JW for evidence or scriptual backing though!

George

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i was an arch angel.

or was it arch demon--? i cant remember

pfft.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

There aren't that many angels mentioned in the Bible. Many religions believe that Gabriel and Michael are archangels, but most concede Michael was the chief angel. Michael is mentioned in Jude regarding the body of Moses in Jude 9:

Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil, he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. (Jude 9)

In the Dead Sea Scrolls there's a document that asserts that Moses did not die in the mount, as Exodus states. Rather, that he was taken up as were Enoch and Elijah. Thus, the dispute in Jude. If Michael were Jesus, I doubt he would back away from a direct confrontation as Michael is said to have done.

An archangel in traditional Christian angelology, is a being of the eighth order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy. The chief angels are said to be They are: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel.

Michael, who leads all of the holy angels, often works on missions that involve fighting evil, proclaiming God's truth, and strengthening people's faith.

Gabriel, who communicates God's most important announcements to humans, specializes in helping people understand God's messages and apply them to their lives well.

Raphael, who serves as God's main healing angel, cares for the health of people, animals, and every other part of God's creation.

Uriel, who focuses on wisdom, often works on missions of helping people learn more about God, themselves, and others.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

The problem we have is determining how archangels are discussed in the Bible. In NT Greek the term is αρχαγγελος [arkh-angellos] and occurs just twice [1 Thess 4:16, and Jude 9] in both occurrences the word is in the singular.

The Hebrew of the OT, however does not have the term Archangel, but what it does have is these two words: "rishown sar" which the NIV has translated as "chief prince[s]" and here the word is in the plural. These words occur at Dan 10:13 which says [according to the NIV]:

"Then Michael, one of the chief princes came to help me"

Since the concept of "Archangel" in its Hebrew equivalent is in the plural, it certainly indicates more than one, but that is as far as we can deduce from a strictly biblical standpoint. No exact figure is provided by scripture.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Interestingly the Seventh day Adventists also believe that JC was Michael the archangel. The only 2 main religions that do and also quite a common feature in Adventists type groups.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit