I like the fact that XJW's are passionate about politics

by minimus 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I agree, Min.

It's good that ex-JWs take an interest in politics and can come to a place to express themselves.

Voting for sensible policies can achieve some good, unlike waiting on God's Kingdom!

• Sabin
    Sabin
    I hate politics, HATE it i tell you. I spent most of my childhood having Margaret Thatcher shoved down my throat. My father couldn't stand her. We always had people round our house campaigning for the Labour Party. I remember going out in the cars with the loud speakers handing out leaflets. He was always off to give bloody union speeches. I told him when i was about 13 or 14, "i'm never voting" he went up the wall. And i'm proud to say to the right honourable gentleman on the left, i never have.
  • minimus
    minimus
    Everyone has an opinion and as long as it is respect fully expressed it's all good
  • Sabin
    Sabin
    Minimus, although what i have stated is true, the 1st sentence (i hate politics) was my attempt at humor. I really dont have an issue with other people who like to get involved. Please dont misunderstand. It's just my father i hate really. Biggest Hug for Minimus.
  • MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Being a witness for so long and not having a opinion my entire upbringing. (well I always had an opinion just was very selective with who I shared it with) I just wasn't passionate about politics I really believed that God Kingdom was mans only solution to all of our problems. So I'm still trying to figure it all out, meaning politics. Not even sure at time's if I'm a democrat, independent or republican? I'm thinking republican. I would like to vote but would create to many issues if the family found out. But soon enough, I will register and will cast my first ballot.

If you don't vote, then don't complain.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    The year 2000 election showed me the importance of voting (Gore/Bush). Every morning my radio alarm went off and I heard the latest updates on the result of that election, which was so close, it was ultimately decided by a republican judge in Florida. The Iraq war would never have been started if Gore had won. Afghanistan, yes. Elections matter. At the local, state and national level. Throughout history millions of people have died for the right to vote. I don't take that lightly.
  • Simon
    Simon

At some point you realize that no magical god is going to come and wave a magic wand to put everything right. What society we have is up to us and it's all of our responsibilities to make sure that the people elected to act on our behalf are competent and will do a decent enough job.

It's good for people to have an interest and get involved in politics as long as they are capable of expressing themselves properly.

Sadly, politics in some countries is descending into mod wrestling. I really do blame the very poor level of media coverage where rating are chased and crazy = more airtime.

Thankfully though, so far, major western electorates elect governments that are not too far off the deep-end and the institutions are sufficient to protect against abuses and hold people to account. They and the principles that protect us can't ever be taken for granted though - it's a short and slippy road to democracy being undermined.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Terry:
    Passionate? Mmmm, I'd say puerile and snippy and thin-skinned,
    and wound up tight and ready to burst a blood vessel.

Isn't it enough to insult all the ex-JW's on your own thread?

Minimus, many of us are able to disagree without being disagreeable. But some aren't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit