Got back from my sister's wedding on Monday (long)

by stephaniesays 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• stephaniesays
    stephaniesays

I had previously posted about my JW parents making my sister miserable over marrying a Catholic...Well, the wedding was on the 27th. My sister and her fiancee (now husband) went out of their way to make my MS stepfather and pioneer mother happy. He gave up a Catholic wedding, they gave up a church wedding, they wrote their own vows and worked it to where the man performing the ceremony didn't do the prayer but my sisters husband did (so that he could pray "through" Jesus). Well, all of that was not enough for my parents-her father didn't walk her down the aisle, my brother did (although that was touch and go for a while, too, as he wants to please my parents).

When the man asked, "who gives this woman?", which was supposed to be excluded, my brother said, "Her family and I do" and there was a really awkward silence for a moment. After the ceremony, my stepfather danced the father-daughter dance with my sister and then left. He even missed her pre-wedding party the night before, because he had a meeting with the CO that couldn't be cancelled. His daughter's WEDDING PARTY!! I was so mad and sad for her, but I kept an upbeat attitude for her and I am so thrilled that she has married into a very close-knit family, who will accept her no matter what..

Oh, another thing I found to be infuriating was the attitude that they have towards homosexuals. My mother won't say the words, "that sucks" or "pissed off" because it's vulgar, but upon finding out that one of my sister's sister in laws is gay, she had no problem saying, "so which one was the dyke?" in this hateful voice. Later (many drinks later for me), after my mom basically accused one of the members of my sisters new family of being a child molester-without knowing the man AT ALL-we really got into it, and my mother seemed to feel that it was because I had been drinking, thus giving her fuel for her thoughts on my sad lifestyle. I was just so freakin' mad-her husband kissed me when I was 4 years old-really kissed me, and when I told my mom that when I was 14, she basically said his family was just inappropriate like that and.... Here is this man, this really nice man, who happens to have a close relationship with his three year old goddaughter, and he is a molester...I stormed off and smoked a cigarette, and thanked God she didn't follow me because I was about to show her some drunk hysteria for real....

Thankfully, I won't have to deal with then for another couple of years!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Ah, those lovely family get-togethers! They kind of live in the brain, don't they? Glad you survived it, and here's hoping you won't have to endure another such occasion for a long time.

Love,

Nina

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I wonder if the Witnesses will ever figure out how bad their behaviour makes them look to outsiders. You have to knock on an awful lot of doors to counteract that kind of bad publicity.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    I wonder if the Witnesses will ever figure out how bad their behaviour makes them look to outsiders.

my thoughts exactly, will they ever learn,

NO !

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Stephaniesays.

Congratulations to your sister and new husband. Sounds like a very accomadating guy, with a supporting family to bend over backwards like they did.

Not hard to see the true Christians at this wedding was it? Just another example of JW "incidental witnessing" at it's finest. Amazing how they can turn on the charm at your door, yet be such obnoxious idiots at social events.

You have to knock on an awful lot of doors to counteract that kind of bad publicity .

Ditto.

I'm sure things got better after stepdad left! No one likes a party pooper!

• Odrade
    Odrade

well, one good thing about it... any relatives or guests at the wedding who saw this ridiculous behavior will probably never listen when the Dubs come preachin' around.

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

This reminded me of my own experience some years ago. My non- JW fleshly youngest brother was getting married and I was scheduled to be his best man in a wedding performed at a friend's house. He had been my best man some years prior. I had gotten married in the Community Church I had attended most of my life. I had been studying about 4 months and the elder conducting the study said he couldn't marry us. He couldn't be sure if we would stay together. (Lasted 28 years till she passed on--meanwhile marriages he performed disintegrated in 6 months).At any rate, back to my story. I was out in service with my elder friends (not the same one) and mentioned I was to be a best man. I did not know you couldn't do that. They informed me in no uncertain terms the reasons I couldn't. So, at the last minute my brother has to get another friend to do the honors. My non-JW mother just took it in stride. No problems just love. This is disgusting when I think of it. How much other family stuff I missed along with my wife and daughter. Thanks for your post.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Disgusting. I couldn't have the maid of honor I wanted because we HAD to get married in the hall, and she was on reproof. Typical, typical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit