Orwell's 1984- a text book for the GB?

by purrpurr 15 Replies latest jw friends

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I don't think they use the book as a guide, but rather, any and all oppressive and totalitarian systems generally follow the same pattern. "1984" reflects that pattern in a fictional setting, but the pattern exists and has existed independently for centuries.

I tend to agree with this. I think cults like the JWs often evolve slowly (though, admittedly, some cult leaders seem to have a more purposeful approach to using BITE control on people) by the leadership trying various things and the stuff that works they keep and the stuff that doesn't they discard. Due to commonalities in the way people's brains are wired, cults tend to evolve following certain trends that most of us know to follow the BITE model for control.

Animal farm is another great book if you enjoyed 1984. That one is uncanny in similarity to the JWs as well - particularly in the way they capture new light and the unsaid rules of the cult.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I would recommend the Bottings' book. It's over the top for sure, but good fun, with some insights.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Thanks guys, there's a good reading list coming out of this, keep it coming x

• TD
    TD
    Is it possible that the GB have been using 1984 as a kind of text book? To get their ideas?

Assuming they are that overtly malicious why would they even need to go to EAB for their ideas? It's not like he personally invented the social patterns he described :-)

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Orwells other book , Animal Farm , is incredible at showing how masses duped by elite. A marvellous read.

• LV101
    LV101

I don't know about Orwell's 1984 but years ago on the old H20 site -- or, possibly, this one, someone posted an article (A. F? or one of the brilliant posters) where psychologists or psychiatrists indicated JW religion was one of the most intelligent controlled business models in the world.

I don't know where they learn their evil control tactics but wish Franz would have given us some ideas. I'm sure they have every psych book in the world in their vast library I used to get sick of hearing about! I've had more than one elder tell me that people want to be told what to do. I couldn't believe my ears -- I was discussing the unbelievable growth/membership of the Pentecostal religion and one said it's because members yearn to be controlled. I think he was referring to his own cult, also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit