Another Rainbow explained....

by snare&racket 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Due to the many variables involved it has been difficult for science to predict how proteins fold to form their uniquely functional state. Proteins are built from individual amino acids up, coded by DNA. Protein function is dictated by its shape and amino acid make up. The amino acids form a 'tape' like stricture and enter an organelle called a ribosome where a complex folding process takes place and the finished protein exits the ribosome.

Science has ling been able to appreciate the amino acid sequence and the see the final protein molecule. We have not had the calculating power in our hands to work out how exactly each protein folds in the ribosome. This is not because there was an imagined 'magical' or mysterious state between an unfolded and folded protein but simply that it is so complex. The most complex 'origami' imaginable!

For anyone with a basic understanding, you can appreciate the power of complex hydrophobic and hydrophilic regions of the molecule that contributed to the folding but in such a manner that though we understood how, could not predict due to complexity and huge variables.

The JW literature used this knowledge gap in science to insert god. I always thought it was a weak sauce god of the gaps example as it was likely going to be understood soon enough with powerful enough computing. Well I read it in their literature 2008....

Now the gap is closed.... I wonder if the JW's will retract and apologise for their 'hypothesis' or simply stay quiet and say nothing about one more false claim, one more false explanation in defence of creation over evolution, one more disproven claim by uneducated cult leaders...

www.technologyreview.com/2020/11/30/1012712/deepmind-protein-folding-ai-solved-biology-science-drugs-disease/amp/

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Now the gap is closed.... I wonder if the JW's will retract and apologise for their 'hypothesis' or simply stay quiet and say nothing about one more false claim, one more false explanation

Do they really have the ability to formulate any hypothesis on any subject-----or is it possible that when the Governing Body's meets to discuss what's the next article that should be publish in their magazines, ---they just throw darts at Target comic books that will explain -----Whatever subject they intend to explain.

For the past several years, they have been "Hush" on trying to explain anything dealing with science.They are not about to touch anything--past or present, that deals with science or history. Quick internet search on basic scientific facts has debunked all their past articles.

On top of that, I don't think the members will read anything that has words like; complex hydrophobic and hydrophilic regions of the molecule

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    The JW literature used this knowledge gap in science to insert god.

Wasn’t aware of this. Has anyone got a link to the 2008 article?

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Is this the article/brochure?

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/origin-of-life-5-questions/

For a die-hard JW, Jehovah doesn't fill the gaps in science, however, is the designer of the science. He is the Stanley Miller of 1953.

For anyone with a basic understanding, you can appreciate the power of complex hydrophobic and hydrophilic regions of the molecule

For a JW, the more complex science becomes, the more he appreciates Jehovah as the brains behind it. Separating Jehovah from science is like separating Elon Musk from Tesla, or Zuckerberg from Facebook.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Create (Design/Manufacture)

Google > DeepMind > Complicated folded protein molecule

Spontaneous generation (Design/manufacuture)

Cell information and manufacturing system > Complicated folded protein molecule

It certainly boggles the mind!

• Funky
    Funky
    I wonder if the JW's will retract and apologise for their 'hypothesis' or simply stay quiet and say nothing about one more false claim

I assume this is rhetorical.

The WT Org does NOT retract and does NOT apologize for ANYTHING - EVER.

Frankly, well over 98% of Bethelites lack the brain power to even understand the significance of the discovery. What almost certainly happened is that some Bethel "writer" in 2008 copy-n-pasted the information from some creationist website, having only a vague notion of what it meant beyond "God of the gaps must have done this". But it sounds convincing to the ignorant, so in it goes.

"Stay silent" is the obvious correct answer for what they will do now.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Very rhetorical !

Thank you for finding that brochure, it held the 'gap' of knowledge in protein folding on high, making it out to be a huge issue in the defence of evolution. Utter nonsense and very deceiving.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Thanks Drearyweather.

i suppose the relevant part is:

A cell spends a lot of its time making proteins. How does it do so? First, you would see the cell make about 20 different basic building blocks called amino acids. These building blocks are delivered to the ribosomes (5), which may be likened to automated machines that link the amino acids in a precise order to form a specific protein. Just as the operations of a factory might be governed by a central computer program, many of the functions of a cell are governed by a “computer program,” or code, known as DNA (6). From the DNA, the ribosome receives a copy of detailed instructions that tell it which protein to build and how to build it (7).
    What happens as the protein is made is nothing short of amazing! Each one folds into a unique three-dimensional shape (8). It is this shape that determines the specialized job that the protein will do. * Picture a production line where engine parts are being assembled. Each part needs to be precisely constructed if the engine is to work. Similarly, if a protein is not precisely constructed and folded to exactly the right shape, it will not be able to do its work properly and may even damage the cell.

Sounds impressive at first blush, but by the logic of the above quote, no picornavirus (eg COVID 19, any of the strains of hepatitis, polio, even influenza etc) could possibly exist. Picornaviruses do not have either proteins or DNA, yet they DO exist. They are RNA life forms, where a simple chemical molecule fulfils the same functions, not as reliably, but reliably enough for them to reproduce. Lots of other incorrect straw-man b.s. in that article, including the usual Christian Fundamentalist furphy that Darwin’s theory of natural selection is somehow meant to explain the origins of life.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good thread, Snare&Racket.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I found this - They [picornaviruses] are RNA life forms - interesting.

Are viruses actually life forms?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit