Syllabus

by Duncan 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Duncan
    Duncan

Hello Everyone,

Haven't posted in years, but thought I would today, since something reminded me of this story.

It's 1970 in our London-suburb congregation and it's the Circuit Overseer visit. As part of his talk on the Saturday night this CO - John Anderson, anyone remember him? - pulls out the little leaflet which was then being used to promote the Truth book, and says "hands up, who knows what this is?"

"Leaflet!" No

"Tract?" No

“Brochure?” No

"Vital, life-saving information!" - I smile to think of it, but this was me, I said that. I figured that the earlier answers weren't nearly zealous or spiritual enough, but still - No.

Every answer was wrong. Eventually, he gets to the point he wants to make:

"Don't underestimate this. Because this, brothers, is a Syllabus. It's a program of Study. This is our message to the public: we offer a complete course in what the Bible truly teaches - everything you need to know in 24 hours!"

The 24 hours thing was big at the time - I think the Truth book was 24 chapters long, and consequently we would sometimes phrase it that we offered a “24-hour bible-study course".

His point was that any outline plan of study could be called a syllabus, and this little leaflet with its Truth-book contents listing constituted a syllabus of our life-saving teachings.

Fair enough. CO's were always looking for new ways to excite and fire up the brothers about getting the message out, and I could see his point about "the syllabus".

Of course, what happened next was that over the following six months in our congregation “syllabus” became the absolute top buzz-word - every brother putting it into his talk, every sister using it in her ministry-school demonstration, it was a word in constant use in every conversation down the hall.

It got a bit wearing after a while, particularly since – syllabus not really being a commonplace word - it was clear that some brothers had not quite understood the sense of it. There were a few who hadn’t twigged that the whole syllabus-thing arose from the sense in which that leaflet was a description of a course of study. Some came to view the word syllabus as simply meaning any piece of literature from the Society:

“Have you read the new “Awake!” magazine? - It’s a marvellous syllabus!” - and all that kind of thing.

And some folks (well, one at least, the star of my story here) thought it just meant “a piece of paper”.

One Friday evening, I was drinking tea in Brother Mick R’s kitchen, when he asked me to pass him that syllabus, pointing to his kitchen table.

On the table was a piece of paper – a handwritten shopping-list (him and Sister R were off to Tesco’s after). That was his “syllabus”. It was clear he was trying to impress me (a pioneer!) with him being all theocratic and on-point and up-to-date.

I was too polite to correct him, and I think I did a reasonable job in not overtly smirking at him - but, truth to tell, I guess I am doing exactly that now, from a distance of 40 years. So then, sorry, Mick.

Anyway, just another example of the way the Society conditioned its followers with buzz-words and cult-like catch-phrases. There’s probably something just like it going on right now.

Regards to all,

Duncan.

• Rather Be the Hammer
    Rather Be the Hammer

That is very funny. Don't know how many years you lost to the cult, but at least you have a good laugh now. 😂

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks for the laugh Duncan.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

..and Watford are in the Premiership! wooooooo.....

• Earnest
    Earnest

The great narrator returns (sharing honours with Hillary Step). Welcome back.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Great story!

I remember when we became "bible study people" and not "the magazine people."

Some friends got so used to just blindly placing magazines and NOT using the bible that they got kind of a bad rap. So starting quite a few years ago we were instructed to always use a scripture when placing the monthly trash paper. We were also instructed to ask for bible studies and demonstrate them where possible. Suddenly that was supposed to change us to "bible study people" instead of "magazine people."

Funny thing is now the Witlesses are just "Cart people" and "Jw.org people."

• freddo
    freddo

Remember "step-by-step progress"? That was a little buzz word/phrase for a while.

• sir82
    sir82

For Newbies:

If you want an entertaining couple hours' read, click on Duncan's name, then on the "Topics Started" link.

I don't think there has been a better story-teller than him, over the entire history of this site.

• steve2
    steve2

Buzz words from buzzed-out minds = Crap.

I remember the fever-pitch excitement over the "release" of the "Truth" book.

Man, we were so incredibly close you could smell Armageddon - we were hyped up...as it turns up over nothing but hype.

Funny what stories us young 'uns fell for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit