How to start a blog

by Holden Caufield 3 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

I want information on how to start a blog called the Mad Prophet. This blog will encourage the freedom of ideas.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

You can go to Wordpress.com and get their free program. As a blogger who uses it I can say that it's great for beginners.

• TMS
    TMS

www.googleblogger.com

In August 2011, after a difference of opinion with a political advocacy group, I started a blog on Google. The format was simple enough for a technically-challenged senior citizen. Pictures, videos and links can easily be incorporated in your articles. Be aware that the font on cell phones and other devices may be smaller than what you see on your draft screen. I typically use a larger font.

Being fairly well-known in this south Texas city of 200,000, I instantly got daily pageviews in the 50-100 range, about 5,000 my second month. Recent monthly pageviews have escalated to 150,000 monthly with my overall total for the life of the blog, now over 4,000,000.

Early on I learned that adding each story to my Facebook and Twitter accounts greatly increased pageviews.

Google has a modest advertising program called AdSense. You receive a tiny commission for each time a reader clicks on an ad and lose revenue if Google thinks you are clicking on your own ads. My largest commission check ever was just over $500, but typically it runs around $150-200 monthly. It's also possible to sell ads if you prefer. I've had a number of offers to sell political ads, but declined.

Enjoy yourself, Holden!

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

Thanks I will do that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit