Can nonreligious people go to service?

by Thisdude 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Thisdude
    Thisdude

I have no idea if im doing this right. I'm an atheist but I'm curious about the religion. Theres a service(?) Tomorrow and I want to go but i dont know if im allowed to. If I can, how do I dress? How do I act? Do I need cash for a donation?

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Sure you can go. Dress up. Slacks shirt and tie.

They might look wary if they see you are a "worldly" person and will try to discern if you are an "apostate".

On the other hand, they might be friendly because they hope you will join. I'm not sure what the response will be if you say you're an atheist and doing research.

Sunday is the WT study and public talk where most "worldly" people would be expected to show up to. Middle of the week studies are more for the congregation.

But hey, have an interesting time, just don't believe everything that is on the surface of this religion. Other information about this religion can be found on JW.facts.

They won't make you give a donation - they don't pass plates but they will hint that you should.

• Thisdude
    Thisdude

Is it really conversation based? Or do you go and listen to a leader talk? The only religion i have experience with is Catholicism so I have no idea what to expect

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

By all means go ,but unlike everybody else who goes don`t leave your brain at the door take it in with you and observe what is said and the responses from the congregants.

You will also most likely be the only "member of the public" to turn up.

And by all means come back here and tell us of your experience .

By the way welcome to this forum Thisdude , where you will learn much more about Jehovah`s Witnesses than you will ever learn at a Kingdom Hall.

• Thisdude
    Thisdude

Thanks. I'll do that.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Can nonreligious people go to service?

What denomination? Where is it?

As an atheist myself, I sometimes go to Peterborough Cathedral on a Sunday to listen to Evensong. Why? Because I love the ambience, the music and singing. I'm not worshipping anyone or thing. It's just like going to a gig.

I'll imagine if they have a collection plate, you'll be well in if you bung a quid or so in.

• Under No Illusion
    Under No Illusion

Every meeting I went to had at least one non religious person there - me.

How will you 'act' is the right terminology to use, because you will need to hide your disbelief. What you see and hear will be a mixture of the surreal and fantastical.

Get your reasons ready for being there. 'Research' will probably arouse some suspicion, even if they are not obvious about it. And I wouldn't mention any higher education you have.

Watch Tower day will be best for just 'blending in'. Midweek will very much feel like you're in a classroom and that more eyes are on you.

Be prepared to sing, or pretend to. Someone will share their tablet with the lyrics with you. The tune is immaterial and usually indiscernible.

Turn your phone down or off, unless you want a ready made excuse to dart out the door.

Get your reasons ready not to have a bible study with someone, unless you want to of course.

Clear a big space at home - near your recycling bin is best - for the literature you will be given.

The urge to run will come. if it doesn't. return here for regular deprogramming.

It's possible to fake it for a long time. I could still be there if I wanted to. They want new recruits. You won't get thrown out, even if they suspect you're not fully in. It's just a matter of how long you can keep up your story and motivation.

Despite the initially-interesting strangeness of the 'JW life' to an outsider, it is, at its heart, very mundane and monotonous.

• dozy
    dozy

The format for the Sunday meeting is usually a 30 minute public talk. This is followed by a Watchtower study which is a tightly controlled format where a paragraph from the Watchtower is read , the conductor asks a few scripted and auxiliary questions and answers are given , ideally as near to word for word from the paragraph as possible. Generally it is quite dumbed down and ( frankly ) quite boring.

The organisation has some unusual beliefs (including their core teaching that "imminently" ( as they have been proclaiming since 1874! ) God will destroy 99.9% of the earths population at Armageddon and only the faithful ( ie JWs ) will survive.

Essentially however it is not dissimilar to other similar groups ( such as the Mormons) in that it is a kind of self-sustaining business model that has millions of volunteers being told they are doing "God's will" by basically being unpaid volunteers distributing the Societies literature , developing the Societies real estate operation and generally keep them busy in "Jehovah's service". If you think of a typical MLM model where people are told they are changing the world but in reality selling overpriced and often useless "herbal" products or "green" cleaning fluids to the enrichment of a few people at the top - it's a bit like that with a religious element ( without the obvious enrichment of the leaders. )

Most JWs are nice people , though it does seem to attract quite a few weirdos and a few a**holes. Be wary of the "love bombing".

Let us know how you get on. Enjoy....

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

why waste your time?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

why in gods name would an atheist want to go to a jw meeting ?

but i think its best to go--just the once--to get it out of your system.

you will find it boring. it is not a service--although they do sing a song and say a prayer..but you stand up for that-- not go down on your knees and stick your arse in the air. although i suppose you could if you really wanted to.

but if you really want to believe in a god--just go outside on a clear day ( or night ) and look up into the sky. if you see him--do let us know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit