Supreme Court Of Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses as an 'extremist organization'

by EdenOne 95 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Read the news here

The Jehovah's Witnesses lost their appeal to the Supreme Court of Russia. Bethel to be liquidated.

I bet the GB saw this coming ... here comes the persecution complex paranoia. "The end is near!"

Any official ban on religious freedom is bad news for any civilized society. Even if the target is the JW organization. Unfortunately, it's the rank & file that get most of the woes. The Society had already protected its assets I'm sure.

EdenOne

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I have always said once a suppressive society always a suppressive society. It has nothing to do with their political affiliation.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

'However, Russian authorities have been increasingly hostile to Jehovah’s Witnesses largely due to what has been described as the government’s symbiotic relationship with the Russian Orthodox Church. International media outlets have reported that this close alliance between the government and the Russian Orthodox Church,” as The New York Times characterized it, appears to fuel aggressive acts and legislation aimed at suppressing the Witnesses’ activities as well as those of other religious minorities in Russia.' - JW website

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It's confusing. I wonder if this is just the Belgorod group. I say that because there's a link to another article that says the Russian Supreme Court refused to ban the branch back in April under a similar charge brought by a different court.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Amazing, I guess being boring as heck now qualifies as 'extremist'.

• steve2
    steve2

JW organization may well qualify as an extremist group - but to be labelled such by the Russian Supreme Court?! Russia is such a black pot.....

• prologos
    prologos

""– Russia’s Supreme Court on Thursday banned the Jehovah’s Witnesses of Belgorod as extremist organization, RAPSI reports from the courtroom.--""

It appears to be the Supreme court upholding the decision of another regional power to ban the WTBtS congregations.

Russia is on the warpath again, arming, agitating world wide, and much of the population, regional powers, supporting , loving the sentiment. The refusenik attitude of the JWs does not sit well with the militarists, they might see it as an Amerikan group trying to weaken the Mother bear's determination to bring all her children into her rightful territory

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Yeah this has nothing to do with a government protecting it's citizen from some extreme group. It's all about eliminating anyone who isn't in lockstep with the government and the Russian Orthodox Church.

Not a good thing at all.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Yeah this has nothing to do with a government protecting it's citizen from some extreme group. It's all about eliminating anyone who isn't in lockstep with the government and the Russian Orthodox Church.

Not a good thing at all.

In almost all other circumstances, I would agree.

But if it takes a despot to take down despots ...

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

But would Russia do the same to Mormons?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit