Virtual Reality??? Does it really work?

by Quarterback 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Every time I walk into a best Buy, the VR equipment is busted for a sample test. Does anyone know, or have tested these? Is it really worth buying?

• Simon
    Simon

It depends - if by "work" you mean "makes you look like an eedjit and then want to vomit" then yes, yes it does. LOL. I'm sure the top-end systems are better and they are learning how to make it cause less motion sickness but the huge cost for hardware puts me off ... you're going to need not just the headset but a powerful PC to run it.

If you want a cheap way to try it out, get a Google Cardboard headset for your mobile phone - literally $20:

https://vr.google.com/cardboard/get-cardboard/

In many ways, VR reminds me of 3D TV ... but with even more drawbacks. But for gaming I can see it finding a niche following and there are obvious industrial / scientific benefits.

The Microsoft Halo headset may be the surprise success - augmenting and overlaying the world rather than trying to replace it. Imagine a pair of glasses that you can use with Pokemon Go ?!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Does anyone know, or have tested these? Is it really worth buying?

I think that its just in its starting foundation as a new technology and one shouldn't expect too much.

Wait in other words.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I'm someone who gets motion sickness in the car when on curvy roads so imagine my surprise when I tried out the googles that came with my new Samsung phone and loved it!! I'm really new to it so I'm still learning but I really enjoy so far.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Thanks for your feed back. I'm thinking about using it for a sports game viewing. I guess I should wait for the bugs to get fixed for that stage.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm sure Vivid will have theirs up and running (and ridiculously successful) before too long... :smirk:

• Londo111
    Londo111

I'm hoping Santa gives me the Playstation VR for X-mas...

• MominAustin
    MominAustin

My husband bought the VIVE for father's day and we already had to send a controller in for repairs (we think just a lemon). HOWEVER, it is an absolute blast to play. The kids can't get enough and my husband has enjoyed it immensely.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

There was a great demonstration of the Gear VR at the Samsung booth at the last Consumer Electronic Show and I took several press members through it. At first most said that they weren't very interested but as soon as I told them we could jump the long waiting queue they all tried it. You should have seen their reaction when the demonstration started. ...big smiles and looking all around. The demo was a boat ride in white water rapids and after they were surfing in Hawaii. The seats were moving and shaking which added to the experience. Everyone who tried it were really impressed and admitted that it was way better than they expected. The key element is content and Occulus has quite a library. Some of the summer Olympics will be recorded in VR.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I just test the Samsung VR model. It's impressive. When you calculate buying a Samsung phone, and the headger its quite costly. About $800.00. Some images weren't in HD so the quality was lacking. This still needs to improve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit