How to deal with anxiety?

by BlackWolf 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    LAWHFol, you have to be extremely cautious in your recommendations of herbal sedatives. "Mitragyna speciosa", also known as Kratom, is an opiate like drug that can be addictive.
  • Illuminated
    Illuminated

I am sorry you are suffering so much. It's taken time to get to where you are. It will take time to heal through all of this and won't be a quick fix.

There are several reasons anorexia develops, stemming from childhood sexual abuse to a need for control. The following may or many not apply to your situation.

One may often ask, “Why did I get an eating disorder?” What many don’t realize is that eating disorders are not random unfortunate occurrences but in fact have a purpose. In many instances, the eating disorder is symbolic of a difficulty in finding other more satiating ways to deal with important needs and emotional issues, some of which may not be accessible to awareness. As well, eating disordered clients typically will be resistant to giving up their eating disordered behaviour because they believe it makes them exceptional and unique, providing an identity when they are confused about their own. In this sense, the eating disorder serves as a mask while an individual attempts to figure out their own true identity and purpose in life, covering a true hunger for meaning about where one belongs. When individuals are ready to confront these underlying issues, they first need to recognize, confront and heal their eating disordered behaviours by re-feeding and slowly re-nourishing their mind. Working with a therapist aware of the role that an eating disorder plays in self-transformation, one is provided with the opportunity to learn how to feel ‘full’ in their mental and spiritual lives as well. It can be very scary for an individual to accept and acknowledge their spirituality, because it means confronting greater issues about death and the cycle of life. From this standpoint, an eating disorder is a transition point on a spiritual quest, serving as a catalyst to explore what one needs to feel fulfilled in their mind and spirit. As the following case study shows, the better question to ask is, “How can I learn and grow from my eating disorder?”
    It has been widely noted across multiple psychological orientations, including Adlerian psychology, that one’s early developmental experiences play a critical role in how an individual forms internalized perceptions of the self and others. These early relationship experiences remain with us as we further develop into adulthood, and become the basis of the internal scripts that we use to guide our thoughts and behaviours in our daily lives, particularly in our interactions with others. For example, an individual who had self-critical and restricting parents would mistakenly learn from this relationship that she is constantly being judged and is inferior and undeserving. As we react in response to our environment, such a perception may be internalized, with the individual coming to believe that she is not worthwhile and does not deserve to feel “full,” and may aim to restrict herself in any way she can. This perspective will later be played out externally, fuelling maladaptive and destructive life goals, by being self-critical and engaging in restricting towards the self. Not only do such developmental experiences make one feel worthless and unloved, but also will likely precipitate eating disordered behaviour.
    http://www.newrealitiescan.com/articles/68-behind-the-veils-of-eating-disorders-a-connection-to-spirituality
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Your anxiety IS real. Mad Irishman doesn't realize, apparently, what being a homeschooled non believing witness 16 year old can feel like, how trapped and lonely you must feel!! (Tho I do like his advice to do physical activity, and pursuing hobbies and things you love are never a bad idea). You say you have tried therapy but it hasn't helped. Have you talked to a therapist about your feelings about your parents religion? It would be very good to be able to express to a real person how you feel about this. If that isn't enough to help you pass the time and feel healthier, maybe a big change of situation would help. How would you feel about going to public school? Would you know anyone at all, how long have you been homeschooled? You CAN talk to the councillor at school even if you are homeschooled. You are still a 16 year old living within their boundaries and they should help you. Have you looked into getting a part time job, learning to drive? You need to be an advocate for yourself to get out of this situation you are in. I know it's hard but you need to take action, it doesn't sound like your parents know what is best for you right now.
  • Mum
    Mum
    I've been through severe depression while a JW. Physical activity is very important to anyone who is depressed. I am wondering if you might be in a position to go to Legal Aid and ask an attorney to help you file a petition for emancipation, presuming that your restricted environment is the root cause of your depression. First, you should call a crisis line to see if you can get a referral for free counseling. I fear that your JW family might prevent you from going to counseling, so emancipation could be your Plan B. It might help to go to Youtube and find some mood-enhancing music or meditation as often as you can. Don't give up on yourself. You can get better. Be patient with yourself and others. Breathe deeply. Relax all your muscles. Rotate your neck. Close your eyes. Let it all go.
  • talesin
    talesin

Hi, Black Wolf!

One thing that a therapist suggested was - whatever you find you CAN eat. With me, it was food in general, not calorie-counting or a desire to be thin -- but I think, in my depression and hopelessness, I was starving myself. One thing I could always eat, was a handful of potato chips. If nothing else, it gave my stomach something - instead of just acid. And the salt was helpful, to settle the tummy, and sometimes I could choke down other food.

Do the best you can, and if there is a food you can eat, ANYTHING is better than nothing. I wish I could help you out, hmmm.

So you are home-schooled? No wonder you are having problems with food ,,, it's the only 'control' you have in your life! Try to eat what you can, and remember, that your parents will not control your life forever. There's a lot of living to be done once you are old enough to determine your own life. Do what you can to say healthy, so that when you make your escape, you will be strong!

You can do this, you CAN.

xo

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf
    Thank you all for your advice :)
  • kaik
    kaik

Some of the advises are good. I would recommend physical activity, like gym and outdoor. Sunlight has wonderful impact on depression and anxiety. Now if you live in the northern hemisphere, fall is a great time to go outdoor. Find a park, forest, or natural area, where you can spent several hours.

I would be hesitant to use over the counter supplements. However, you should see your medical professional and he make advice you to take some medication dealing with anxiety. It is always good to have issues under the care of professional. There is absolutely nothing wrong to seek out doctor and help.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ BlackWolf...

Let me get this straight...

...your parents homeschool you (thusly keeping you away from vital human interaction), they've given up on medical science ('cause it didn't supply any "quick fixes"), and now they want you to just try and "pray away the blues"?

Jeezus, are they trying to f**king kill you???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit