Faith, where now?

by Theburstbubble 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Theburstbubble
    Theburstbubble

So for the first time ever I went to a church service at my local church (COE) and I have to say it was awful! It was just like a ritual. The vicar would say something and then the congregation would all say a phrase in unison back to him. In between were prayers, hymns etc. This went on for an hour. It was totally unfeeling and I'm not sure how people even learn about the bible at such places.

So anyway, as much as I don't want to go back to being a witness I do have to say they genuinely discuss the scriptures far more than churches.

I know the majority of you on here are atheists but I still want to believe in something. I was hoping visiting a church once a month would give me that fix but it really didn't.

For those with a faith, any suggestions on a nice church to upbuilding my faith without all of the silly 'add ons' that the witnesses have?

If you are atheist please don't comment saying it's all a load of rubbish etc, I can believe in whatever I want to, as can you, so no negativity please.

• cofty
    cofty
    I can believe in whatever I want to,

Yes you can. But choosing your beliefs is silly. Investigate the evidence and your beliefs will take care of themselves.

Why not find a harmless friendly church for the sense of community and at the same time investigate the evidence regarding the bible for the sake of intellectual honesty?

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

There is only one positive role that I can think of that going to church would have, helping you to draw closer to the community and improve one's social life. If I had to go, and if I had to force myself to pretend to believe in a mystical, invisible being, then I would go to a local church where I could build up some friendships locally. Having good friends there might make all the weird rituals and brain numbing sermons bearable.

I just want to say also that I respect your desire to believe in something. That is a wonderful right that we have- to continue to search and strive for truth - whatever it may be. But the truth may not always line up with what we want to believe. I wish you a happy journey in your quest for knowledge and truth!

Hope I wasn't negative. I tried my darndest not to be.

• Theburstbubble
    Theburstbubble

The thing is Cofty, I think there is no answer to everything. I know you are totally into evolution and I get that. I believe there is a connection between everything and we do evolve (that is clear). However, as I mentioned in one of your posts I still cannot quite comprehend that everything we know came from one cell. I have so many questions about evolution that I just don't think can be answered. But on the flip side I do think that there are is also not much evidence that God exists.

But, I like the concept of God. I like the values of the bible. Yes, I understand it could all be a huge fairytale but so what if it is? You and I will die, we will both live our lives to the full, the only difference is that you will believe there is nothing and I will hope there is something more. If there isn't then we will both be in the ground none the wiser :)

• Theburstbubble
    Theburstbubble

Ah Bonsai, thank you for your comment. Not negative at all. I don't know why I have such a spiritual need. Maybe it's 38 years of conditioning or maybe it's just how I am. Who knows! But I think you are right in the whole sense of community thing. I do miss that. I am building relationships slowly but it does take time!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    TBB you didn't go to a church that was right for you, so keep looking. I will send you a PM about my experience, but different churches appeal to different people, and vary widely in their coverage of Scripture vs. Traditions. Sounds like you tried a Catholic one? Or Episcopalian since you mentioned vicar. I've been to an Episcopalian service that was not overly ritualistic, just right. But maybe you are in the UK and it was Anglican?
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I went to a non denominational church and it was great. A friend of mind suggested it after he went and visited several other churches even non denominational ones. You can't just give up and go back to the witnesses because one church service was all wrong. I can try to find out what kind of church style my friend goes to if you want there national . PM me if you like and I'll ask him.
  • Theburstbubble
    Theburstbubble

Hi Fayedunaway

Yes I'm in the UK and it was a Church of England service, I was hoping for something light and interesting and to be honest it was a real culture shock.

Don't worry Crazyguy I'm not running back to the witnesses.

If you can both PM me with your suggestions and experiences that would be great.

Many thanks

• cofty
    cofty
    I have so many questions about evolution that I just don't think can be answered

I am certain that they can.

If you are genuine about that why not ask?

I like the values of the bible.

What about the slavery and infanticide?

• Lieu
    Lieu
    Faith is internal, a personal belief inside of you ... it isn't a "where", imo. Ya just gotta check around a bit if you are looking to be a part of a community with shared beliefs. Or you could do as Russell Rutherford, etc and have open Bible discussion with a small group of people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit