Shooting in the foot (homophobic video)

by Syme 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

This is the exact sort of bigotry I am referring to. It's a deep seeded intolerance towards anything that is different and an attempt to vilify it by false equivocation. Biblical pronouncements are not "standards". Their arbitrary statements without regard to human decency or the well being of sentient creatures.

Not sure what all that really means...it sounds like it should make sense but I think to some it could sound quite bigoted and intolerant toward anyone who believes in the bible. 

Since we're talking about tolerance, perhaps you should have used the word "some" in front of the sentence where you labeled  bible pronouncements as "arbitrary statements".   I don't necessarily think so but a good number of people do believe Biblical pronouncements are indeed "standards" and are anything but "arbitrary" and that they are indeed full of  "regard for human decency and well being."

This is the exact sort of bigotry I am referring to. It's a deep seeded intolerance towards anything that is different and an attempt to vilify it by false equivocation.

Seems like playing the Homophobia/Intolerance/Bigot card when it isn't actually necessary, could result in one of those unfortunate "Boy Who Cried Wolf " situations where no one pays attention anymore when something really serious is occurring.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    To me being Phobic about something, you have to have an irrational fear of it to the point that it is interupting your daily activities. It used to be that to be called intolerant, phobic or bigoted, you had to actually do something mean or harmful to someone else or be behaving irrationally.

The situation now is such that expressing reserve for any aspect of a minority group will result in a person being verbally tarred and feathered. And not just by the members of that group either. John Cleese says it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAK0KXEpF8U

• besty
    besty

Pete Zahut

Pete Zahut
    15 hours ago

I'm not condoning the video here but I think it's safe to say that most people (including JW's) realize that there must be something positive about being gay otherwise so many wouldn't risk life and limb to pursue that life.

When did you decide to pursue a straight life? Time and date would be great thanks.

pursue
    pəˈsjuː/
    verb
    1. 1.
      follow or chase (someone or something).
      "the officer pursued the van"
      synonyms:go after, run after, follow, chase, give chase to; More
    continue or proceed along (a path or route).
    "the road pursued a straight course over the scrubland"
  • stillin
    stillin

Pete, solid thoughts. You said it better than me. I even got slammed with an NC17 rating without even saying anything offensive.

i probably "guided" my sons toward heterosexuality. So shoot me!

But if one of them had turned out to be a homosexual, I would hope that he wouldn't feel obligated to correct everything I say.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Phobia in the English language denotes more than just an irrational fear. It denotes an extreme dislike or antipathy also.

The whole "hate the sin love the sinner" attitude is also still homophobic in nature. Homosexuality is only a sin because some old book says it's a sin.

What if someone were to say, "I love religious people, but I hate it when they practice their religion. Their activities should be outlawed. We should be able to deny religious people services because I hate their practices. But I'm not hating them! Just what they're doing!"

its a sick and twisted way of thinking

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

When did you decide to pursue a straight life? Time and date would be great thank

1. Follow or chase (someone or something)

• 2. continue or proceed along (a path or route).

As is generally the case in discussions on this topic, I realize you are trying to find something to be offended about and by singling out a single harmless word, you are essentially straining the fly specks out of the pepper rather than understand the intent of the comment. You might also be assuming I'm straight. If you look at my comment again, you'll see I didn't use the word "decide". You added that word and it changed the intent and meaning of my comment.

Since you asked however, I don't have a specific date of when I began to pursue my current lifestyle, but according to the definition you've provided for me, I suppose it was when I realized my sexual preference was a certain way and I followed or chased individuals with the same preference until I met someone who also wanted to make a permanent arrangement based on that preference and I've continued to proceed along that "path or route" ever since.

• stillin
    stillin

I wonder if I've been kicked off of this thread. My post from this AM is completely gone and I don't see anybody else's after cofty's comment.

I guess it's my abrasive natur.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

When did you decide to pursue a straight life? Time and date would be great thanks.

1.follow or chase (someone or something).
    2.continue or proceed along (a path or route).
    As is often the case when discussing this touchy subject, I realize that by singling out a single harmless word such as pursue, you are essentially straining the fly specks out of the pepper in an effort to seem like you have a valid point.
    If you read my comment again, you'll see that I didn't use the word "decide", you added that yourself and it changed the intent of my comment. You assumed I was saying that someones sexuality is a choice and I wasn't, You may also me assuming I'm straight.
    Since you asked however, I don't have a specific date but by the definitions you provided, I suppose once I realized what my sexual preference was, I followed or chased individuals that fit that preference, found someone who wanted to make a permanent arrangement based around that preference, and then continued or proceeded along that path or route ever since.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    stillin
    I wonder if I've been kicked off of this thread. My post from this AM is completely gone and I don't see anybody else's after cofty's comment.
    I guess it's my abrasive natur.

No, I think somethings going on with this website, right now my post is showing up twice and it's on the side of the page rather than in the middle.

• stillin
    stillin
    I see it now, Pete. Some format malfunction.
  • Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit