Strange behaviour after cut and paste

by konceptual99 4 Replies latest forum tech-support

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Hi Simon,

I've just created a topic re a cart witnessing experience. I wrote the original text in another bit of software (Evernote) and cut and paste it in when creating the topic.

It did not leave any line space between paragraphs (just <br> tags it would appear) but when I added in some paragraph breaks it all looks OK when the edit is saved but then on refresh text is being completely lost.

I don't have this problem other times so am wondering if it's something to do with the c'n'p into the rich text editor and then subsequent edits.

Any ideas?

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

Have to see the markup that's created from Evernote but I would suggest before post you click the last button in the tool bar and check the code that is being generated. My guess is that it doesn't like perhaps a broken tag or unauthorized tag in the content and then on post it can't be encoded safely so it bombs the entire content. That's typically what causes the scenario you're describing.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes I find formatting breaks down with copy-paste.

Either right click and "paste as plain text" and then add paragraph breaks or use code view to sort it out.

Or you could delete <br> tags and then add new paragraphs as normal.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Yup - I did some checks and doing a plain text c'n'p is much better. There's some tag in there that's ballsing it up.

• Simon
    Simon

It's possible an update has affected things but it's difficult to know without seeing the content.

If you notice it happen and the clipboard is still active just paste it into a PM to me. Alternatively, let me know the topic / post that had it and I can check if something has been stripped that shouldn't have.

Anything that adds cruft to the HTML (like Word) can be a problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit