Suggestions for books to read

by Truthexplorer 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Hi all,

I am just about finished 'out of the Cocoon' (great book) and am looking for ex JW books to read.

So far I have read:

Crisis of conscience (brilliant/amazing)

In search of Christian freedom (interesting)

Journey to Gods house (very good)

Escape from paradise (very candid account)

Exiting the JW cult (still reading/ good, but deep)

Captives of a concept (easy to read and factual)

Watchtower and the Freemasons (good)

If can give some suggestions and a short review. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• bennyk
    bennyk

Jehovah's Witnesses: Their Claims, Doctrinal Changes, and Prophetic Speculation. What Does the Record Show? by Edmond C. Gruss. Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Jehovahs-Witnesses-Doctrinal-Prophetic-Speculation/dp/193123230X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473972071&sr=8-2&keywords=gruss+witnesses

Very little commentary; the book is chiefly quotes from Watch Tower literature, arranged in (largely) chronological order (from 1870's forward). By the time you get to the 1940's, you will be tired of hearing how 'Armageddon is at hand!!! The time is short!!! Don't buy green bananas!!!'.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Thanks bennyk.

I will have a read. It sound interesting.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Apocalypse Delayed by James Penton (best up to date-ish history)

A People For His Name by Antony Wills (best not up to date history)

The Gentile Times Reconsidered by Carl Olof Jonsson (more than just a refutation of 1914, an account of the GB's bloody mindedness)

The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses by Gary and Heather Botting (this book is over the top but good fun, it deserves more readers than it gets)

Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave by William Schnell (definitely over the top and a bit barmy, but it's a classic)

Visions of Glory by Barnara Harrison (an account of bethel in the early post-war years, plus a general history, feminist perspective)

Three Dissertations on the Teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses by Greg Stafford (asks what can and can't be said as a JW in good standing - which proved not to extend to the contents of this book)

Watch How We Walk by Jennifer Lovegrove (fictional account of life as a JW)

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Much appreciated slimboyfat :-)

• zeb
    zeb

"The Gentile Times Reconsidered" by Jonsson.

As slimboyfat said a statement of the bloody-mindedness of the gb as well as a refutation of the whole 1914 thing

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Thanks Zeb.

I believe Johnson was disfellowshipped for telling TTATT in that book re 1914 ie that 1914 is a load of codswallop.

• smiddy
    smiddy

"Jehovahs Witnesses The New World Society" by Marley Cole ,who was supposed to be a non witness..

However , he was in fact a Jehovahs Witness when he wrote it.

Just another example of lying by the organization and their deceitfulness.

• Wayward
    Wayward

If you're looking a more humorous (also sad in places) take on growing up a JW, I recommend Kyria Abrahams' "I'm Perfect You're Doomed". This was the first book I came across that described my life as a JW child to a T. Her glossary of JW terms is a hoot.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Thanks smiddy and wayward

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit