It is 5am and I still can't sleep. Contemplating life, doing research on religion, world history, science...

by Stepford Wife 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

As I have wrote in previous comments on this forum, I believe in doing Good. If God exists, he will be able to judge me for my good deeds as I hope to be remembered as a good man by people who knew me. If he does not exists, than, once I die, I won't know about it... i'll be dead.

One thing I know for sure is that if God exists, he chose not to interact with humans at all. You cannot tell me he lets women and children being raped and murdered or die of starvation and than, give a fridge to some JW pioneer out there.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I never slept better than when I came to terms with disbelief in God. Seeing the universe as an indifferent place (which used to seem like a terrifying thought) has been the most liberating.

I heard Imagine by John Lennon on the radio the other day, that song has a whole new meaning to me.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think you are on the right track. People can come up with all kind of convoluted reasons why a loving God would create mankind then go off and leave us to torture and kill each other for centuries, but in the end it just doesn't make any sense.

And believing in a literal Adam and eve is ridiculous when science proves mankind has been on the earth far longer than any possible interpretation of the bible could account for. Most Europeans have Neanderthal DNA, how could that be if we were created? That is just one piece of the mountain of evidence that confirms we evolved, there is so much more.

It's hard at first when your whole world view changes so quickly, but I would never go back to believing in fairy tales, no matter how comforting. Just because God isn't going to step in and save mankind from themselves does not mean there is no hope, it just means we have to work harder at making the world a better place. I believe what Ghandi said, that we must be the change we wish to see in the world.

So take your time getting used to these new ideas, educate yourself on things, learn all you can about cults and how they warp your thinking. I recommend Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan, especially if you want to get your husband out. Don't make any big decisions, be very careful what you say to others. You are starting on an exciting journey of discovery.

• juandefiero
    juandefiero

Live a good life.

If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.

If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.

If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but you will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

(This quote is often attributed to Marcus Aurelius, however it is uncertain that it actually was him. Still, a good philosophy to live by...one does not have to believe in God to be a good person...and if God would destroy a good person just because that person doesn't worship him, who would want to worship a jerk like that?)

• Stepford Wife
    Stepford Wife
    Being free from JW religious superstitions has made me a better person.
  • cofty
    cofty

Hi Stepford Wife

• Heaven
    Heaven

Once I realized the Bible, God(s), and religion are all based on ancient mythology, my nightmares ceased.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I am repeating myself but this is one of the best concepts about religion.

Silence is God's natural language....everything else is a bad translation.

• scary21
    scary21

Sounds just like something I would say.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Most of the early Bible is Mesopotamian bs. Noah's flood, Adam and Eve, Job, tower of Babel, Proverbs chapter 4 goddess of wisdom, garden of Eden, tree of life, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit