Assembly

by dothemath 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dothemath
    dothemath

Dragged to the convention, the speaker was from the Canada bethel.

One of his talks went into the refugees not being welcome, and some countries attitude toward foreigners in general, and even mentioning acts of genocide.

He contrasted this with the Bible, and showed the scripture where Israelites were to be kind to other nationalities living among them(there is a verse that says that).

I don't think he gave the complete picture though, as Israel also practiced genocide.

Then Jehovah said to me, ‘See, I have already begun to give Siʹhon and his land over to you. Start to take possession of his land.’ 32 When Siʹhon came out along with all his people to meet us in battle at Jaʹhaz, 33 Jehovah our God handed him over to us, so that we defeated him, his sons, and all his people. 34 We captured all his cities at that time and devoted every city to destruction, including men, women, and children. We left no survivor.”

(that's from Deut 2:31-34, and not the only example for sure)

• freddo
    freddo

Yup.They pluck old testament scriptures from their ass if it fits their agenda, only to leave out several others that would blow them out of the water.

Why are you still going? You've been on here over 14 years!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Attendance. Number baptised and their estimated ages please.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DOTHEMATH:

Yeah, they don't even know what's actually in the Bible. Him being a speaker should know more than most! In Bible times they most certainly did practice genocide and other atrocities. These things would be very distasteful in our politically correct world.

In general, I never could stand hearing some ignorant and overly medicated Witnesses give half-assed commentary on the news and world conditions.

• dothemath
    dothemath

Should also mention, attendance around 600.

Number baptized- 0

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

So says one of the most stand offish and isolationist groups in the world.

• dothemath
    dothemath

Freddo - 14 years? I didn't think it's been that long!

Just going along for family, not in service and not many meetings.

At my age they just leave you alone anyway.

• steve2
    steve2

Was it a regional convention or a special meeting? If the latter, they don't have baptisms at special meetings.

You're right about their huge tendency to selectivity in Scripture citing. The Old Testament/Hebrew Scriptures is a veritable bloodbath of violence and warfare - and yes, Jehovah's people engaged in acts of genocide - how else did they come to occupy 'the promised land'?

A speaker would have to be damn ignorant to spout nonsense about the Israelites being instructed to be kind towards other nations and to ignore the command to violence against others.

• dothemath
    dothemath

It was a regional convention, and they still had the baptism talk. They even announced for candidates to sit in the front row, but there weren't any.

The speaker just did his thing and ended it without going through any questions.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

My family is at the convention today...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit