Interview with James Beverley on JWs

by dropoffyourkeylee 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I just watched a video of an interview with James Beverley entitled 'Why Jehovah's Witness are Losing Members'. I thought it pretty good, although there are a few misstatements.

Here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PafecLiLqsI

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

There are way more than a 'few misstatements'. There is some actual and factual misinformation and a lot of it.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

To know it you have to live it

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I listened to it and fell asleep half way through. I was listening out for mistakes and I didn’t spot any but this could be because I fell asleep half way through.

I did hear him say that JWs are much closer to Christianity than Mormons, which was interesting. I think I heard him say that JWs consider themselves prophets—or maybe that they don’t consider themselves prophets, I’m not sure which. In either case Watchtower statements are available that back up either point of view.

He also described James Penton as a “famous” historian, which is a stretch. Perhaps he meant famous among those who are interested in JW history. I don’t think Penton himself would claim to be “famous” beyond that.

I read Beverley’s book Crisis of Allegiance some time ago and found it to be an interesting study of the formation of a splinter group from JWs—perhaps unique in its documentation of this process.

If others who spotted major errors in this interview could share them that would be helpful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit