Dave Meyers, JW Elder/Former NBA Player died

by Iamallcool 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

He died last year, Did anyone here already know about his death?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Meyers_(basketball)

• blondie
    blondie

I'm surprised no one seemed to have posted this. We noticed it; I had a roommate whose sister attended his congregation in Milwaukee. It was not hard to pick him out of the crowd. Otherwise, he looked just like any other jw. He did not bring attention to his past sports career, not like whatshisname who is always talking about his brief military career pre-jw.

• Steel
    Steel

Its says in his retirement , he went back to school and finished his degree . He also coached youth basketball.

Man that must have been one liberal hall or maybe he just didn’t care. Or he was a superstar in the hall so they just looked the other way.

Mind you this is Wikipedia. Who knows what is true.

• blondie
    blondie

Celebrities get away with a lot, especially men with money.

• Steel
    Steel

We have a doctor in our hall. He is a born in and originally from the third world so I do cut him some slack. He is a really nice guy.

His kids are in organized sports. No one bats an eye about it.

The funny part is they are black and already head over shoulders better than the white kids. What happens when they really get older and find out they are generally quicker, faster and stronger than the majority of kids in their school. Are they really going to want to quit ?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

He did not bring attention to his past sports career, not like whatshisname who is always talking about his brief military career pre-jw.....Blondie

If I Still Had My Rifle..

It Would Be Easier To Shoot Apostates And..

PROTECT PEDOPHILES!!..

Image result for jw.org broadcasting Anthony morris...Image result for fat american soldier

• sir82
    sir82

It was a big, big deal back in the 70's when he converted. As I recall, he was one of the players the Lakers traded for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He had a feature article in the Awake I think, or maybe it was a Watchtower.

There were, well, not many, but a handful of high-profile conversions to JWs in the run-up to 1975. Meyers, Teresa Graves, Larry Graham, George Benson.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Yeah, five page article in the Awake! May 22, 1985

• careful
    careful

Does anyone know what ever happened to Elmore Smith (Lakers-Bucs-Cavs)? He converted before Meyers.

http://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/dave-meyers-the-decision/#do4q3oJju45EQseH.97

• sparky1
    sparky1

WOW!................. I never met Dave, but I understand that he was a really nice person. This has brought back a really good memory for me. Back in the mid '70's, after I left Watchtower Farms, I was given the gift of a solid 14k gold Timex watch. It was re-gifted to me by someone that received it directly from him! Thanks for posting this news, although it is sad, it brings back a great memory for me. Unfortunately, the watch was stolen from my shop and never recovered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit