"Why don't you just call yourself an atheist?"

by slimboyfat 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    I am attracted to pantheism, I don't mind admitting it.

Is that a typo. Did you mean pantheism or panentheism?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Um not sure which one did Leibniz espouse? That one.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Not Leibnitz, Spinoza.

And panpsychism too. That one,

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Even the humblest potato in the darkest store house has a tiny sense of itself.
  • cofty
    cofty
    That which can be asserted without evidence....
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I didn't assert anything other than I'm attracted to panpsychism.

Oh yeah the potato thing.

The thing is panpsychism was sort of the common sense position until recently. And it's coming back.

Here's an argument for panpsychism shamelessly pasted from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

But by far the most popular empirical ground for the genetic argument stems from Darwinism, whose ascension in the mid-nineteenth century transformed debate about life and mind. This form of the genetic argument turns on the assumption that evolution is a continuous process that moulds pre-existing properties into more complex forms but which can not produce “entirely novel” properties. An important proponent of this argument was William Clifford. Clifford puts the argument thus: “… we cannot suppose that so enormous a jump from one creature to another should have occurred at any point in the process of evolution as the introduction of a fact entirely different and absolutely separate from the physical fact. It is impossible for anybody to point out the particular place in the line of descent where that event can be supposed to have taken place. The only thing that we can come to, if we accept the doctrine of evolution at all, is that even in the very lowest organism, even in the Amoeba which swims about in our own blood, there is something or other, inconceivably simple to us, which is of the same nature with our own consciousness …” (1874/1886, p. 266). Another extremely influential figure whose panpsychism rests in part on this idea is William James, who writes that “we ought … to try every possible mode of conceiving of consciousness so that it may not appear equivalent to the irruption into the universe of a new nature non-existent to then” (1890/1950, p. 148).The argument has drawn supporters throughout the twentieth century (see for example Drake (1925), Wright (1953), Waddington (1961) and of course Nagel (1979)
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Isn't/wasn't/IDFK Chalmers into panpsychism?

The potato who thunk like Plato?

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I'd like to try to understand this philosopher but this time I had to google Derrida for Dummies

• flipper
    flipper

Yeah, Paul, 'fraid I'm too simple for this here Derrida fella.

But flying chocolate teapots are cool!

My great uncle Rudi would roll in his grave - he was a professor of philosophy at a university in Bratislava (until the Soviets rolled into town).

Most of his descendants are humble potatoes.

Mrs. F

• rebel8
    rebel8

In other news, slim has now proven himself to be a prophet!!!

(Warning: this is the sort of clip Cofty or nicolou will switch off in under 30 seconds)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit