Missionary in Asia works part time as teacher told by Bethel hand over pay check!!

by Witness 007 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

They only way this Minsterial school grad missionary could get a visa was as an "english teacher" so he got a job part time and pioneered the rest of the time. He was very upset when bethel told him his wage for english teaching belongs to them!!! He had expenses living in this asian land and had no family support, but bethel thought his small Watchtower "reinburstment" was enough. He instead told them to shove it and bought a plane ticket back to Australia. Happy memories.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

He was very upset when bethel told him his wage for english teaching belongs to them!!! - absolutely disgusting, but not surprising.

The WTS is complete scum, bottom of the barrel ...

• zeb
    zeb

HM was the wt wage? anyone know?

I am very glad he did what he did. Peace unto him I say.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Christian seems a long long way away from anything JW the more you scratch and sniff the cult.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

So....was that Missionary YOU?

I ask because the way it was related, seems pretty personal or close to home.

• Robo Bobo
    Robo Bobo

Can confirm - this absolutely happens.

Many times the money they get from secular work is more than their stipend from the Society. WT turns a profit!

HM was the wt wage?

In Asia? Depends on his status and the time frame. A clever missionary could get up to $700 USD/month in reimbursement if he knew how to ask and what to ask for.

If they made him a special pioneer (which is actually for locals but in a few countries they sometimes appoint foreigners as special pioneers to save on costs) then 250-300 USD/month.

• sp74bb
    sp74bb

Disgusting !!!!

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

As awful as this is, don't missionaries sign a vow of poverty? There have been a few threads on this over the years. Here's one from 10 years ago:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/106721/bethel-vow-poverty-documents-scanned

One of items is:

"6. To turn over to the local organization of the Order all income received from any work or personal efforts in excess of my necessary living expenses, unless released from this vow by the Order;"

So, while I agree this is a horrible practice, it may very well be that this missionary actually agreed to that particular condition.

• fulano
    fulano

A missionary lives in a missionary home and for him is everything arranged. So something is wrong in this story.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Yep they agree to it total slaves when you sign on the line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit