Is the Pioneer School being eliminated?

by wannaexit 42 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I heard from the semi reliable source that the pioneer schools will go the way of the dodo bird next year.

I could see this happening. It used to be that you went to the the pioneer school once. Then they allowed dubs to go every 5 years. You keep seeing the same people going to these events. It used to be 2 weeks in length , now it's down to one week. I would say there could be some truth to this rumor.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Heard something. Can't confirm it though. It seems all the little ''perks'' that JW's enjoy, whether it's pioneers, CO's, elders or whatever, all these little ''perks'' are being taken away. Steadily and slowly eroded away, making everyone and everyone more and more bland, dull.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Oh the horror!!! Whatever will the pious-sneers do without their annual "we are special to the GB" session?

Maybe they will have their "special, advanced" indoctrination sessions online in the future or something?

• bohm
    bohm
    Perhaps some sort of online learning?
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I'm probably betting some kind of dumbed-down training on JW.org or something.
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I was a regular pioneer back in the mid-90s. I'd graduated a year early from high school and spent what would have been my senior year in high school (which for many people is one of the best years in their lives) out in field service.

The regular pioneer troupe in my congregation was mostly a collection of psychologically disturbed individuals: vicious gossips, sexually-frustrated and incredibly insecure young men, a guy who was completely disconnected from reality and found ways to count time in creative ways (he said if your neighbors saw you wearing a tie it was a witness and therefore you could count your time), a known pervert who was likely a pedophile...you get the picture.

I'd often find myself waking up early in the morning, taking time to prepare for field service, getting ready and so on only to meet up with the troupe at a restaurant where they'd literally spend hours. It'd be 1:00 p.m. and I'd have zero time to show for it, but they didn't seem to care.

Finally I started pushing back against the waste of time and was told repeatedly in the most condescending way possible that I didn't understand how things worked. I hadn't been to the pioneer school like they had. If I had, I'd know that you didn't have to stop counting time just because you were at a restaurant, shopping or running errands. You see, they were provided information at the school that even elders didn't have.

Who was I to argue with them? After all, they'd been pioneers for years.

The day finally came for me to go to the school and I couldn't wait for all this unique super-secret knowledge. Well, to the surprise of no one who's reading this, the school was just a boring rehash of old watchtower study articles organized by subject, especially subjects dealing with field service. There was nothing top secret about it.

You'd think I'd be furious but I'd begun to figure it out by then. I still wasn't ready to reevaluate the religion altogether but I felt as if I'd been stuck in a particularly awful congregation and it was some trial I needed to endure.

Nope. Just a bunch of crazies across the board in that religion.

I don't miss any of that nonsense one bit.

• blondie
    blondie

Or an elder will be selected to continue doing the letter from the GB each year.

Pioneer school was just another drag on the CO's time. Some years he did not make it twice to our congregation; we had to settle for a substitute.

With the improved program on the service meeting on how to go door to door or conduct studies....they don't need the school...

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Sounds hard to believe. Though they are cutting out all other training that was happening at the KH. It is such a giant part of Pioneering, especial for the1st year. The thought of missing out on Pio School was unthinkable to me when I started (even though I hated service). I don't see how they can do that without expecting a big drop off of pioneers?

C.O. time I dont see being a factor at all. What the heck do they need to do thats more important.
    Dont see it.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Oh boy, if that is true, what will all the "special" JW's do? No titles? How will they be "special?" They gotta have bragging rights or whats the point of going on? Maybe more prescription meds will help!
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

The pioneer meeting with the CO during his visit has been getting less exclusive over the recent couple of years. Now anyone can go basically. If the rumour is true then perhaps they will make that meeting more structured with video presentations?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit