So, this journal mentions FECRIS, a French sponsored anti-cult NGO active in Russia. I for one knew nothing of that. It seems that the much vaunted, long-winded financial victory in France kind of back-fired. If someone else can get this article up, I think it's interesting information.
21st Century French Connection or How the French got the last Laugh against JWs in Russia
The Russian Supreme Court’s July 17 ban on the Jehovah’s Witnesses was the result of a decades long conspiracy funded by the French government, blessed by the Russian Orthodox Church, and sanctioned by the Putin administration.
A French NGO — fully-funded by the French government with the aim of combatting religious minorities — partnered with the Putin administration and the Russian Orthodox Church to label non-Orthodox religions in Russia as extremist groups and eliminate them. The latest phase of that plan first garnered international attention with Russian authorities’ arrest of a Danish citizen.
FECRIS have the following objective (lifted shamelessly from their website).
This organisation is our friend, have look at their objectives:
The word "totalitarian" and the references to universal human rights really, really chime with me. I hope they cause a real earthquake. The bold bits are mine.
- Rally representative European associations concerned with contemporary organizations with cultic and totalitarian characteristics, whether legally constituted or not, whose practices violate the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, the International Convention on the Rights of the Child, European and national laws.
- Represent the member associations in their contacts with the European institutions in the framework of their defence of families, individuals and democratic societies against the activities of harmful cultic organizations.
- Alert public authorities and international institutions in the event of punishable activities.
- Participate in the creation of a European legal area with regard to cultic issues.
- Create an international information network.
Power to their elbow if it exposes the abusive cultic nature of JW org.