"Watchtower Beliefs Clarified", JW.ORG site Ripe for the Picking.

by FatFreek 2005 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I can just hear them now. Oh, how wonderful that the Faithful and Discreet Slave is by going to bat for us against those wicked apostates who are always trying to dig up mud, especially from the older publications. Hey, they even go all the way back to the year 1870. Hey, they even concede, with this timeline, the triple flip-flop of changes that the Superior Authorities teaching was changed to position no. 2 in 1929, then to position no. 3 in 1962.

Chalk one up for Watchtower. First, I have to applaud Watchtower for finally legitimizing the older publications because that is what this web page does. However, it gives us one more weapon when a JW uses that lame excuse as we show them some ridiculous or contradictory teaching published by them that is older than, say, the year 2000. "Oh, that's old truth and we only go by new truths."

I say, Thanks, Watchtower -- cuz we don't have to listen to that alibi any longer.

But that Superior Authorities blunder was just a token.

A cursory search for a few of my favorite Watchtower blunders reveals the following:

1. "The 1,260 Days". The Clarification site reveals a single change, that in 1993. However, here's a link to where some 5 years ago a compiled list revealed 10 different published Watchtower positions for when that time period began, and when it ended. I've since updated that table (but not published it) to include their very last change in 2014 (begins "1914", ends "early 1919").

If you're counting, that makes 11 different published Watchtower positions for a single doctrinal position -- not 2, as Watchtower is claiming.

2. Resurrection of the Sodomites. The Clarification site shows a single change, that in 1988. However, this essay shows 8 different published Watchtower positions beginning with 1879 when they first thought Sodomites would be resurrected. Each subsequent change over the years till 1988 reminds me of certain modern day politicians as they change their stance on some issue -- yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no.

An abstract to the above essay link says that it was "designed for newly interested ones but JWs had better be prepared. More and more householders are asking the JW an embarrasing question contained herein. "The Great Watchtower Contradiction" exposes Watchtower by revealing the single most outrageous Watchtower contradiction that most of us (ex-JWs) have seen and that most JWs have not seen. It goes beyond the regular exposé by answering two vital questions: why they've contradicted themselves on this single issue and why most JWs are not even aware that it's happened. It does it from Watchtower's own publications and encourages the person to get their own WT Library CD for verification. It does it without arguing subjective doctrine, which, as you know is like talking to your cat. It's An 11 minute read, 19 minutes if you include all the supporting endnote references."

Watchtower's attempt at clarification of changes shows that they are either ignorant of contradiction or blatantly and dishonestly put it aside. In either case, the spirit direction that their governing body is getting is clearly not the same as the one to which it lays claim.

Len

• Happeanna
    Happeanna

A silly analogy

long running soap operas obviously have many many scrip writers and they obviously don't know the full story or characters, but watchers do! The contradictions and impossibilities in episodes occur regularly and are obvious to lomg standing audiences.

Thing is this isn't a crap soap opera , it's real people's lives , real families , these men in America are messing with.

shame on them and in truth shame on those watching and not noting the inconsistencies

viewers are volunteers and can switch off , it takes more courage to open your eyes and see you are being duped by the story writers of the cult you belong to

• ElderEtta
    ElderEtta

Bump

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I'm surprised this new(-ish) feature hasn't gotten more traction

Let's review....

The OP refers to the Watchtower 15 February 2017, page 26, paragraph 12 - from a study article that most congregations will be studying the weekend of 29/30 April

Note near the start: "the Watch Tower Publications Index includes the heading “Beliefs Clarified,” which lists adjustments in our Scriptural understanding since 1870."

The OP then linked to the WOL version of this (the 1986-2015 Index) at: http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200277174

The 2001 - 2015 Index (you need pages 46-47) is available to download as a printed PDF version at: https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_books/59/dx01-15_E.pdf

Now this is when it starts to get interesting, or maybe not....

The 'Beliefs Clarified' heading does not seem to appear in any earlier print Indexes - BUT it does appear as a heading in the CD-ROM version of the both the 1930-1985 and 1986-2015 Indexes - ie the heading has been added

There is downside - the Indexes only index the information published in the years they are indexing although that information is about earlier years

ie the 1986-2015 Index will only make references to publications in those years

So, for the year 1872 the Indexes reference

Index 1986-2013
    1872, ransom: jv 718

Index 1930-1985
    1872, Lord’s return: jp 15; w34 11

As the 1986-2015 is available online at http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200277174

FYI, below is a screen shot from the CD-ROM of the 1930-1985 Index

BTW, this has also been partly discussed previously here https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/273008/new-light-beliefs-clarified

• Listener
    Listener

To call them 'beliefs clarified' is dishonest. In most instances they are not clarifications, they are changes.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I didn't see anything about blood fractions being permissable.

I also didn't see anything about the allowance of organ transplants.

• ElderEtta
    ElderEtta

Must be nice to put your head in the sand and rewrite history or that's the way they think anyway

One of the board's biggest problems is that most of the Free World have computers in their house and can access everything they have ever published

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit