New June Awake with Misleading Statements about Evidence for god

by ttdtt 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

The article (Faith) is all about why you should have solid evidence based reasons for belief in god.
    It's not good enough to believe in god just because you were raised to believe in god.

(from the article)

But God wants those who worship him to have genuine confidence in his existence and in his love.

Then it goes on to tell us how we can get that genuine confidence that there is a god.
    (from the article)

Studying the Bible will help you to find solid answers to important questions, including:
    You may notice that there is a link to articles on 1: Who is God 2: Does god care 3: God's purpose.

What ISN'T there is a link to the ACTUAL QUESTION THE ARTICLE IS SUPPOSED TO HELP WITH.

What evidence is there of his (god's) existence?

Now for someone looking to BUILD FAITH in a god, wouldn't that be the 1st priority to learn about? For surely why would someone care about "his purpose" or if a "cares about me" if he has not established clearly that there really is a god?

The real reason for this omission is that the WT has never (nor has anyone else) provided real proof that he, she, it exists.

Proof is not, well the scriptures say he exists, it's not - well we live in an unlikely universe, it's not that there are 5000 kinds of apples (wondering if anyone gets that reference), it's not that man is doing a bad job therefore there must be a god who will step in, it's not I don't understand evolution so there must be a god.

Proof is proof, not a desire to want something to be real.
    I don't believe that the earth is a sphere, it is. I don't believe that there is gravity, it is. I don't believe that 2 + 2 = 4, it is!
    All the above if challenged can be proven easily all the time. It's not like Holy Spirit that only works when it works.

Once again, the WT uses the old shell game tactics in their literature.
    Misdirection is their best play.

The article "Faith - what does the bible say" can be found at the link below.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/awake-no3-2016-june/faith-what-does-bible-say/

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    These deceptions continue to drive me mad.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Good catch about the bait and switch. It's crazy what they get away with.
    Also, I did get the apple reference :)
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS writers quite often assert loaded questions into their articles making or establishing a presupposition of guilt many times.

Loaded question

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A loaded question or complex question fallacy is a question that contains a controversial or unjustified assumption (e.g., a presumption of guilt).[1]

Aside from being an informal fallacy depending on usage, such questions may be used as a rhetorical tool: the question attempts to limit direct replies to be those that serve the questioner's agenda.[2] The traditional example is the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Whether the respondent answers yes or no, they will admit to having a wife and having beaten her at some time in the past. Thus, these facts are presupposed by the question, and in this case an entrapment, because it narrows the respondent to a single answer, and the fallacy of many questions has been committed.[2] The fallacy relies upon context for its effect: the fact that a question presupposes something does not in itself make the question fallacious. Only when some of these presuppositions are not necessarily agreed to by the person who is asked the question does the argument containing them become fallacious.[2] Hence the same question may be loaded in one context, but not in the other. For example, the previous question would not be loaded if it was asked during a trial in which the defendant has already admitted to beating his wife.[2]

This fallacy should be distinguished from that of begging the question (not to be confused with raising the question),[3] which offers a premise whose plausibility depends on the truth of the proposition asked about, and which is often an implicit restatement of the proposition.[4]

• theliberator
    theliberator
    I strongly believe in God. However, I have always felt gypped when it came to a 2 or 3 page articles about God's existence or the creation. Now it angers me, due to the fact that people read that stupid Awake! and the organization uses it to tell people that they don't need to dig deeper. "Look how wonderful we are. We provide a well rounded education both spiritually and secularly." Bull crap! I am not 2 years old. I will choose what I want to read and reflect on deeper proof for the existence of God.
  • Divergent
    Divergent

This is how I feel about God:

If God exists, would he be so narrow-minded to kill me along with BILLIONS of good people just because we are not part of his religion? It is NOT that I do not want to believe in God. In fact, I welcome God to accept this challenge of mine: to make me a believer, to convince me without a doubt, if JW's or any other religion really have the truth. If God does not do that, then it's not my fault that I don't believe. After all, he has the power to convince me and he knows EXACTLY what he takes to convince me. If he does not convince me despite me requesting him to do so, then he has NO RIGHT to destroy me because it is not me who does not want to believe but rather it is he who has failed by choosing not to help me believe!

This is why I do not fear the future. If God doesn't exist, then I have nothing to lose by not following any religion. On the other hand, if God exists, then he does NOT have the right to destroy me if he does not convince me. After all, I have asked him to and he knows exactly what it takes!

• theliberator
    theliberator

"Then certain of the scribes and Pharisees answered, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from you." But he answered them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, but no sign will be given it but the sign of Jonah the prophet. - Matthew: 12. 38, 39

Luke: 23: 8,9 - Now when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceedingly glad, for he had wanted to see him for a long time, because he had heard many things about him. He hoped to see some miracle done by him. He questioned him with many words, but he gave no answers.

Matthew: 27: 42 - "He saved others, but he can't save himself. If he is the King of Israel, let him come down from the cross now, and we will believe in him."

Psalm: 106:21,22: "They forgot God, their Savior, who had done great things in Egypt, Wondrous works in the land of Ham, and awesome things by the Red Sea."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    What ISN'T there is a link to the ACTUAL QUESTION THE ARTICLE IS SUPPOSED TO HELP WITH.
    What evidence is there of his (god's) existence?

Probably because there is no evidence...?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Theliberator clearly needs liberating.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Yes punkofnic!

And kodos for you OneEyedJoe! Guess you had a CO visit recently?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit