Autocratic Rule: Could It Happen?

by Cold Steel 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

First the Bible students represented an insulated layer. They were the faithful and discreet slave of Jehovah who were expected to guide the people in all matters of overall import. But eventually someone noticed that in the first century, the seven churches were not independent, but had a council to guide them in weightier matters. These council members were sometimes divided and even given to bickering on occasion; thus, though they received revelation on occasion, they weren't inspired in all things and they added consistency to the church.

But now that they've edged out everyone else and they have their Governing Body, what's the chance of going with a one-man rule?

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Maybe there already is a one-man rule by someone like tight pants ranting in the GB weekly meetings. Who knows.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

My understanding is that the president of the governing body had much more power as an individual until the late 1970s or so. Raymond Franz brought this up in his book Crisis of Conscience and, if I recall correctly, he quoted them as saying that "the tail is wagging the dog" instead of the other way around. That led to a transfer of power from the President to them.

I don't see anything that would indicate that a single member of the governing body will get the power that the president used to have.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I've been searching for Franz's book and have been unable to find it.

Anyone have a copy in PDF?

• waton
    waton

There must be expressions of different power players at work in wt too. 1) the financial controllers, accountants and lawyers types, the service department holding the reigns on personnel, Writing, calling the shots on doctrine and teaching, the GB, the front men who might have a stake in one of these specialties. As an example

I would pick Splane for doctrine, but how would he manage to also harness the all important substance of the flesh & blood, the money?

In my experience from the 30s to now, it is the bullies, raw power that trumps, not to be longed for.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I do not believe this organisation could ever go autocratic ,they, the GB and probably their Lawyers would have made this an impossability.

Autocratic rule means losing control of all the congregations worldwide and each congregation being responsible for their own congregants , or am I in error here.

However I could see the lawyers taking over this religion and using it for their own means ($$$$$$)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit