Jehovah loves "even rounded numbers" or could this be a way to disprove the inspiration of the Bible?

by notjustyet 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

The Bible's overuse of rounded numbers perhaps reflects some superstitious thinking on the part of its diverse writers. I read somewhere that the Bible seems to favour lots of 7 and 12 (e.g., 12x12=144,000). And look at the convoluted calculation used by the organization to arrive at 1914.

It would be interesting, but perhaps no more believable, to read a Scriptural passage that described measurements as precisely as several decimal places.

The Persians developed sophisticated mathematical formulas thousands of years ago, including the use of the zero (which is often wrongly thought to be a modern invention). If they had written books of the Bible, numbering might have been very different.

• George One Time
    George One Time

My favorite:

(2 Chronicles 25:11, 12) 11 And Am·a·zi′ah, for his part, took courage and proceeded to lead his own people and go to the Valley of Salt; and he went striking down the sons of Se′ir, ten thousand [of them]. 12 And there were ten thousand that the sons of Judah captured alive. So they brought them to the top of the crag, and proceeded to throw them from the top of the crag; and they, one and all, burst apart.

Not only round, but exaggerated too. Can you imagine such a number of bodies lying on the bottom?

• George One Time
    George One Time

So the interesting question is: Did Jehovah God himself choose the decimal numeral system? (His son will reign for a thousand years etc.) Or did he adapt himself to a system that humans invented?

Without a television at home ( to protect us children from bad influences), I read all the old Awake magazines. And yes, it was helpful eventually - to wake me up.

*** g71 2/8 p. 11 What the “New Math” Teaches Your Child ***
    Different Numeral Systems
    The decimal system is called a base-ten numeral system. But any other numeral base can be used. Babylonians used a complex base-sixty system and the Mayas of Yucatán calculated in base twenty. Today computers use the base-two system. “New math” courses familiarize young children with different numeral systems. The purpose of this is to help them gain a better understanding of the familiar decimal system, and of arithmetic in general.
    The base-five system is perhaps the easiest one to learn, and it may be taught to your fourth or fifth grader. In this system, which uses only the numerals 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, each position has a value five times greater than the position to the right. Thus in the number 324, the first numeral represents itself, or 4. The second numeral, instead of representing 2 tens as in the decimal system, represents 2 fives. And the third numeral, instead of representing 3 hundreds, represents 3 twenty-fives. So 324 in the base-five numeral system is really 89 in the base-ten system!
    This same pattern is followed in every numeral system. Thus in the base-six system each position has a value six times greater than the position to the right. And in the base-eight system each position has a value eight times greater than the position to the right. Note the value of the number 324 in the numeral systems below as compared with its value in the decimal system.
    324 in base five = 75 + 10 + 4 or 89
    324 in base six = 108 + 12 + 4 or 124
    324 in base eight = 192 + 16 + 4 or 212

• prologos
    prologos
    G1T: "So the interesting question is: Did Jehovah God himself choose the decimal numeral system? (His son will reign for a thousand years etc.) Or did he adapt himself to a system that humans invented?

Looking at our digits, as we are endowed with 10 fingers, it would be easy to count by ten. if you also use your toes, that makes 20, and the French still do it: Quatre-vingt-dix for 90= 4x20 plus 10. curiously, if the planetary distances are brought down to simple integers, the Earth ends up with 10, as in the modified Bode sequence, so it is we that have to play with the hand, feet that we have been dealt. not the other way around. Not a bad deal come to think of it. it bodes well for the future. ( 4,7, -10-,16,28,-52-,-100-, 196. 292, 388. Mercury to Pluto) note: only Venus, the retrograde rotatee is the only one with the uneven prime Number 7.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    notjustyet
    We know the Jws believe that each bible writer was inspired to write down the words in their book as it was somehow bestowed upon them via holy spirit.

Sure?

So why Luke made a mistake?

*** it-2 p. 130 Judas ***
    Luke’s presentation of this incident evidently is not in strict chronological order, for Judas had definitely left by the time Christ commended the group for having stuck with him; that would not fit Judas, nor would he have been taken into the “covenant . . . for a kingdom.”—Lu 22:19-30.
    (Luke 1:3) 3 I resolved also, because I have traced all things from the start with accuracy, to write them in logical order to you, most excellent The·ophʹi·lus,
    So JWs believe, that the logical order is inspired, but not the chronological order.
    So happy to be awake. :-)
  • jwleaks
    jwleaks

Hyperbole.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, those age numbers sound something like what people lived to be under Satan before joke-hova barged in and ruined everything. While Satan was in charge, people were regularly living more than 800 years. Then, joke-hova decided to plunder the planet so it could enslave everyone on it, supplying itself with energy. After this was done, the age limit was 120 years and very few reach that.

One number that joke-hova loves using is the number 6. There are 66 books in the LIE-ble, and 114 (reduces to 6) in the Quran. This ties in heavily with Saturn, making things miserable for us all. The energy from this damnation book is everywhere on the earth, which is responsible for our communism now and for all the political correctness and injustice used to protect joke-hova (and its chosen ones, who are carrying out the work on the earth). It is also why it is so hard to make it. Under Satan, we didn't have mankind working 2 or 3 jobs, working 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, to just barely make it. Joke-hova did that, and then uses this to promise people that it will end under its communist tyranny. Rather, it will simply be worse.

Of course, as obsessed as joke-hova is with the number 6, that thing won't touch three of them strung together with a 666 meter pole. That number happens to be the number of the Sun, which provides good energy for people. Satan used that number, and the energy of the Sun, to assist people and lead them until joke-hova forcibly removed Satan from power. These days, people find many articles offensive that are really from the Sun. The Swastika, which people today associate with tyranny, is really a Sun symbol and was sacred in ancient pagan times (and is still found in Hindu to this day). The number 666 is another--I have heard of people that refuse to even touch that number, or hang price tags where the sale price is "Save 6.66".

• baker
    baker

Now moving forward to the present, we are expected to believe 1914 is an exact and precise date brought forward from all the inspired writers, without any doubting from the R&F? Give me a break. Im surprised the GB is still holding fast to this date, seeing that it has been almost 102 years without any GT appearing...

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Ohhhhhh i see whats coming here... some new shite light in an upcoming convention that 144,000 is a round number and we actually mean a million. So there's still some new GB members queuing up to take over when we die.

Also, 1914 - sorry, that again was an approximation... we meant 2014. Yes, this generation will by no means pass away until the conclusion of this system of things.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I was meaning to find a way to argue that the bible is not inspired due to the, what I would call "not thinking ahead" far enough and just tossing out large numbers and letting them end on a very large round number.

I think that it could be a case of "Occams razor" where the simpler explanation could be true in that these were just made up numbers on the fly, as it were.

TO me, if the bible is actually inspired, numbers should be accurate. Did X own 30,000 silver shekels or did he not? Not one more or one less since it would not be accurate if not, then what else is not true, if this is not true?

NJy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit